Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 02:24 AM

Default 5/10 PLO, C-bet in position?

I have KK99 single suited on the button in a 6 handed online game. Players are decent, a bit tight maybe. Effective stacks are 1000.

Cutoff posts both blinds. UTG limps, fold, cutoff checks, I pot it to 60. SB, limper and CO all call, pot is $250.

Flop is AJ8 with two hearts, which I have none of. Checks to me. So the question is, is a bluff profitable here? In many similar situations I would check behind hoping to spike a set, but in this case a K or 9 both would look super dangerous to me, so I would feel very uncomfortable if I hit. Now I'm guessing a lot of people will say check because you're bound to get action and then you don't know where you're at, and they may have a point, but I've been surprised recently how often a bet will just take down a pot like this. Any thoughts?
Old 06-14-2007, 07:21 AM

Default Re: 5/10 PLO, C-bet in position?

This is read specific situation. Opponents should belive that you've set or big draw most of the time, when you bet here. If you've been too agressive continuation bettor, this probably isn't the case. Also LAGs and calling stations might make this bluff bad idea.

All in all it is totally ok to take a shot here. If you get check-raised, you'll had to give up. However if someone calls, you've potential for beliavable bluffs on later streets. You've position, straight blockers and you could fire second barrel on turn to represent top set.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:26 AM

Against three players and draw heavy board it is bad omaha to bet air. Give it up.

If board was less coordinated I would understand betting.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:44 AM

I don't like bluffing in omaha into so many players regardless, esp when you don't have any solid draw. Also in this spot if you bet out and get called and an offsuit 6 peals off, your in a spot where you need to fire again when checked too and just start digging yourself a hole without a solid hand to redraw to. I just check behind.

Bart- have we played before on stars at lower stakes? You name looks familiar for some reason.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:59 AM

I don't get why you're surprised that a c-bet takes this down? You raised some limpers preflop (albeit on the button, so your range is probably/should be wider) and then an A flops. I don't play a particularly LAGgy game and maybe it's a leak but I fire a C-bet here almost all the time. Even if you've been very loose with your preflop raisers, at lower stakes at least (1/2 2/4), people almost want to give you credit for Aces and probably won't go to battle unless they've got a particularly good holding or are really good players and know how to bluff.

The tougher question seems to be knowing when to fire a 2nd barrell - or even a 3rd - and this is an area where I struggle. Any thoughts on this?
Old 06-14-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get why you're surprised that a c-bet takes this down? You raised some limpers preflop (albeit on the button, so your range is probably/should be wider) and then an A flops. I don't play a particularly LAGgy game and maybe it's a leak but I fire a C-bet here almost all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

If C-bet this kind of spots near 100 % of the time you have big leak against competent players.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:06 PM

We may have played, but it wouldn't be under this name.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:08 PM

Glad to see we're getting some disagreement.

I agree that nearly 100% of the time is too much here, but since you disagree what percentage of the time would you c-bet? Nearly 0%? Somewhere in the middle?
Old 06-14-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Glad to see we're getting some disagreement.

I agree that nearly 100% of the time is too much here, but since you disagree what percentage of the time would you c-bet? Nearly 0%? Somewhere in the middle?

[/ QUOTE ]

In general or on this board.

Note that you are against 3 players and that there are two draws.

On this board you could actually have AA, bet out and get called in two spots and still not know WTF is going on the turn.

Also, since you don't have any aces, there's a good chance that one of the 3 does (depends on how the game is playing). And since you raised on the button, any reasonable opponent might guess you don't necessarily have any aces.

I'd be more likely to check the flop most of the time and fire out with a bet on the turn if no one does something.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:04 PM

If you check the flop and fire a blank turn (if there IS a blank turn possible...), what are you representing? Do people believe you checked AA there? Or even top two pair?