Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2006, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Annie Dukes book

My Harman Kardon receiver owns this whole thread.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree totally. She has NO social skills and acts like a princess. Besides, she can't control her emotions at the table. One of the hands when she got busted you could totally tell by her facial expressions she was bluffing. Her brother is Howard Lederer but she's a media creation.

[/ QUOTE ]

She won the most exclusive STT of all-time, for which she qualified by winning a bracelet. Has Annie jumped on the opportunity? Sure, but don't go thinking her personality and play weren't the catalysts.

That said, I was dubious when the book informed me Stu Ungar won the '99 World Series ten months after he died.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:20 PM

She got the oppurtunity not because of her personality but because she was one of the only women playing poker when the boom started. ESPN also got to play up the brother/sister angle. This, combined with the fact that Jen Harman was sick for the 2004 series pretty much guaranteed her a spot at that stt. Not sure why you think she "qualified" for it.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:17 PM

From reading old RGP posts she seemed to be a respected higher-limit cash game player 5-6 years ago, when the games were presumably tougher than they are now. I don't know why people think she is some ESPN creation.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From reading old RGP posts she seemed to be a respected higher-limit cash game player 5-6 years ago, when the games were presumably tougher than they are now. I don't know why people think she is some ESPN creation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah - and she tought Ben Affleck! So there, you meanies.

PS She reminds me of all the Duke bi-atches who thought they were cuter than they were, wore black most of the time, and liked to smoke cloves. I have no use for Annie Duke.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
She got the oppurtunity not because of her personality but because she was one of the only women playing poker when the boom started. ESPN also got to play up the brother/sister angle. This, combined with the fact that Jen Harman was sick for the 2004 series pretty much guaranteed her a spot at that stt. Not sure why you think she "qualified" for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, it didn't officially qualify her, but it enhanced her candidacy. The bracelet legitimized her spot at the table. My guess is that they'd have just thrown another guy in there if she hadn't won the bracelet.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree totally. She has NO social skills and acts like a princess. Besides, she can't control her emotions at the table. One of the hands when she got busted you could totally tell by her facial expressions she was bluffing. Her brother is Howard Lederer but she's a media creation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shes won a WSOP event, a $2Million first prize STT, and has from what I've heard supported herself from years solely from poker.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:06 PM

I saw the title of this thread "Annie Dukes Book". The thread right above it was "WSOP Rio Room Reservations". For some reason my mind saw it as "Annie Dukes Room".

The simple thought scared the hell out of me.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Change the She to a He and take out the Lederer part and you could say just about the exact same thing about Hellmuth, but people don't call him a Media Creation. She's a good player, not one of the greats, one the level of Jen Harmon, but a top level player.