Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2007, 04:02 AM

Default WSOP 5K HORSE - Stud/8 Hand

We are just after dinner on day 2 of the 5K HORSE, playing stud/8. I have 67K chips, average stack is 45ish. Limit is 1500/3000. About 40 players left, 24 make the money.

Dead cards are 3 3 4 K K, mostly black.

Mizrachi with the 3c brings it in, then 2 folds, and I complete to 1500 with (A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img])J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. 2 more folds, the 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] raises to 3000, and the 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] makes it 4500. I decide I'm not losing anyone here, so I just call, as does the 8-seat with the 4.

The 1-seat with the 7 door card I've been on the same table with for the last several hours. He's probably late 20's, has made some strange plays, overplayed a few hands, and hasn't made many laydowns once he gets involved, but overall hasn't been too far out of line. Call him "Stubborn."

The 8-seat with the 4 is Ali, who I haven't played with before but is apparently a fairly well known LA player who has cashed in several other events including the earlier HORSE event this year. Erik Seidel, sitting my left and his right, seems pretty friendly with him.

Anyway. On 4th street, the boards are:

Me: (A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img])J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Ali: (xx xx) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Stubborn: (xx xx) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet, Ali calls, Stubborn raises, I 3-bet, Ali calls, Stubborn 4-bets, I call, Ali calls.

Me: (A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img])J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Ali: (xx xx) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Stubborn: (xx xx) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I think for a second and bet out. Ali calls. Stubborn raises. I 3-bet. Ali (finally) gives up. Stubborn calls.

Me: (A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img])J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Stubborn: (xx xx) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check-call both 6th and 7th (I caught Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the end). The pot is well over 60k - almost definitely the biggest pot of the tournament so far, and enough to put even a short stack on the leaderboard.

Thoughts? Results and my thinking to follow.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:59 AM

Default Re: WSOP 5K HORSE - Stud/8 Hand

It's interesting that he raises and then just calls the 3bet on 5th when the 3rd man goes out. I guess this is consistent with being paired, or having a concealed high hand, i.e. KK or QQ in the hole (which would also be consistent with 3betting 3rd). Even if he is paired on 5th, surely he would cap if he had a straight draw to go with his low draw? But maybe just calling is one of those "advanced" nonsensical plays to completely throw off your opponent's read?

Well I don't play high stakes so I'll shut up now and see what people who know what they're talking about have to say.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:21 AM

I like the way you played it but Im not so sure about your fourth street play. You arent in great shape against a FD and low draw/straight draw. I think I would wait until fifth comes down in your favor to pound it. I like the way you played fifth because it is very difficult for him to have a straight with you holding two blockers
Old 06-17-2007, 09:50 AM

seems fine, hope it worked out...
Old 06-17-2007, 12:51 PM

I think that both fourth and fifth are obvious spots for check-raises. Stubborn is going to bet about 100% of the time, and you really don't want Ali hanging around. Once it's down to heads-up, you have to check and call down. There's an excellent chance that he's free-rolling on you. If he is on a high hand, he doesn't have many outs. In that case, you might as well give him some rope and see what he does with it.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:53 PM

I think the crux of the hand is your read of Stubborn on 3rd street, and the range of hands he could have to go to war with his third raise.

It would also be interesting to know what he thought of you, and what he thought your complete meant. In some situations his three-bet might mean a big hand, in others it might mean he thought he could get it heads up.

So many of Stubborn's possible down cards are dead. Would he be pounding with a 776? Does he have one of the two remaining aces? One of the two remaining 5s? He doesn't sound like he would have a big hidden pair...

I think you played this fine, but I'd be peeing a little in my pants here. The best case scenario seems to have him with two-pair and low draw.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he is on a high hand, he doesn't have many outs. In that case, you might as well give him some rope and see what he does with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Andy,

What kind of high hand do you think he could have here? Could he be playing a KK like this?
Old 06-17-2007, 01:07 PM

Well, two Kings showed on third street, so he should be folding that on third street. Then again, he is Stubborn. Give him QQ in the hole. He puts hero on split Jacks and Ali on some low hand. The three-bet should get hero to fold and he can get it heads-up with the presumed low hand. If Stubborn has a good low or two-way hand, he probably shouldn't want to push hero off of his scraggly high hand.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:06 PM

All we have got here is a big pair.

Even though the pot is super inflated I would probably just c/c 4th and eventually fold 5th.

Edit: didnt see we had 5s up lol, just call down though. I really hate the idea of inflating a pot when we are only drawing for the high
Old 06-17-2007, 03:51 PM

I'm with Andy, try for a checkraise on 4th and/or 5th, this bet and 3-bet plan puts a ton of money in the pot BEFORE trying to make the guy fold.