Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Why is there no rush for the US to leave Afghanistan?

as evidenced by our inability to stablize/secure the region or our inability to capture the man responsible for heading the organization that killed 3K+ Americans on 9/11?

Which stellar part of the Special Operations success are you so proud of?

rb

[/ QUOTE ]

You consider a small Taliban insurgency, who perpetrate random RPG hit and run attacks a major destabilizing factor? Let's not get too outrageous here. In several months we crushed and ousted the Taliban from Afghanistan, instated Hamid Karzai as the leader of the new Afghanistan, and had Al-Qaeda on the run. We blew Tora Bora, when we could have had bin Laden, but that was more of a decision by commanders to use the Northern Alliance forces instead of the Rangers or SF teams. We did all this with only 300 casualties.

This war showed just how effective American Special Forces could be, in training and orchestrating a native force against an enemy. Along with the massive air support, you have basically the two ideal uses of the Green Berets. We won that war very convincingly, yet you chalk it up as a loss because of a minor insurgency, and the fact that we didn't get bin Laden? I'd say that bin Laden is more of a symbolic target than a practical one now, so I think that hardly makes this a failure.

[ QUOTE ]
A former Pakistani diplomat has told the BBC that the US was planning military action against Osama Bin Laden and the Taleban even before last week's attacks.

Niaz Naik, a former Pakistani Foreign Secretary, was told by senior American officials in mid-July that military action against Afghanistan would go ahead by the middle of October.

The wider objective, according to Mr Naik, would be to topple the Taleban regime and install a transitional government of moderate Afghans in its place - possibly under the leadership of the former Afghan King Zahir Shah.

[/ QUOTE ] http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/1550366.stm

So it could be said that getting Bin Laden was a secondary objective,no?
Old 03-29-2007, 01:46 PM

Why is there no rush for the US to leave Germany, Japan, Korea ... Team America: World Police is on the case...
Old 03-29-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is there no rush for the US to leave Germany, Japan, Korea ... Team America: World Police is on the case...

[/ QUOTE ]

At least 2 of the 3 still want us there. Not sure about Germany.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't really matter if you are "wanted" by their political leadership or not ... most polls will show that the people of both countries don't want us there... and whether their people want us or not is also irrelevant unless you accept that we should be wherever we're "wanted" no matter the cost, the duration, the lack of need in terms of national security, etc.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:02 PM

So we agree, Kaj, that it is beneficial to leave a military presence in conquered lands for an extended period?

The question is (although never framed like this): Whats the cost benefit of Iraq? I believe if you think about it, you'll come to the same conclusion that the british came to nearly 100 years ago.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So we agree, Kaj, that it is beneficial to leave a military presence in conquered lands for an extended period?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not agree with this statement at all.

[ QUOTE ]
The question is (although never framed like this): Whats the cost benefit of Iraq?

[/ QUOTE ]

The question is irrelevant. What is the cost-benefit to me if I steal your mom's purse and can get away with it? Should I use tghis as my guide to act?
Old 03-29-2007, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So it could be said that getting Bin Laden was a secondary objective,no?

[/ QUOTE ]

I always belived Bin Laden was secondary. This is more specupation than fact but, if he captured tried and executed he becomes a martyr. Plus I alwasys thought as long as he's alive and on the run it gives the US a reason to poke our nose around the Middle East.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't really matter if you are "wanted" by their political leadership or not ... most polls will show that the people of both countries don't want us there... and whether their people want us or not is also irrelevant unless you accept that we should be wherever we're "wanted" no matter the cost, the duration, the lack of need in terms of national security, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a link to these polls?
Old 03-29-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am living in Germany, but I am not German, so I may not catch everything, but I haven't heard any discussion wrt to the troops leaving. There is however debate wrt to the new US' rocket defence proposal, I haven't seen any polls but it feels like the sentiment is against it. Another problem for the Polish-German relationship approaching.