Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2007, 05:05 PM

Default K6 clubs...in the BB ithought i played it right

late middle stage of $150 MTT, with 80 entrants. i'm in the BB with t3.7k, blinds are 400/800. i've just come to the table and only seen 4 or 5 hands. utg (big stack w/ 20k or so, and a calling station i know from previous action) limps. mp player with about 6k, bets 2k, and it folds to me. if i shove here i think i am probably going to get called by cs but i know he will call with anything, even with a worse hand than mine. i am also thinking if we are both all-in maybe mp folds, and that is the guy i want out. folding doesn't seem to be an option be cause i'll only see a few hands before the blinds increase and i'm already in the red zone. i shove and the other two go all-in.

did i screw up badly here? results later
Old 01-05-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Re: K6 clubs...in the BB ithought i played it right

I don't like the move. When short stacked, I'd rather get all-in heads up against one opponent with any 2 (mild exaggeration) than all-in in a 3-way pot w/K6s.

I think it was a very bad assumption to think that MP would bet 2k and then fold for 4k more. No one does that! He would be the donk of all donks if he did that.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:18 PM

MP just bet 1/3 of his stack after another player limped. He's not going anywhere. As loose as you say UTG is, K6s is in bad shape all in against two others. Even if you give the other two players very wide ranges you are only about 25% to win this hand.

Since both other players are going to call you are looking to win a pot of (3.7k + 3.7k + 3.7k + 400 + Antes?) 11.5k+ if you have not yet posted your BB, if you have the pot gets to over 14k w/ antes. You'd need to be winning more than 11.5k or 14k repectively to justify calling off your chips w/ a 25% chance of taking down the pot.

Ok, did I do the math right?
Old 01-05-2007, 07:20 PM

You don't have any fold equity here, so you are most likely going to be facing 2 opponents. K6s is not a hand I would like to do that with. If you had JTs, QJs, or another high suited connector, I might think about gambling for all of my chips.

If it was folded to you in the CO, pushing with K6s is justified with such a short stack and some FE. However, I'd need a hand that fairs well in multi-way pots to push in this situation.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:21 PM

thanks for your responses. i realized at the time this wasn't the optimal situation, but i really didn't want to give up my BB here. folding there is going to leave me with t 2900 and in the SB next hand where i will surely get called by calling station no matter what i do. like i said the blinds were due to increase soon,and our table was short handed and next to break. also the two biggest stacks were on either side of me so getting it in against one other player may have never happened. finally, it would not be incredibly unusual to see the mp raiser lay it down here, as there quite a few newbies that play this tourney.

results.....cs turns up KJo...mp shows AKo...board ends up xxxx6 so i take it down, and go on to win the tournament. this actually ended up being the only real decision i had to make the whole day.