Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Moving Up (tl;dr)

What I meant by opening hand strategy was, do you follow some guide about what you do with certain hands in certain positions.

I know optimally, it should vary with table conditions. I just figured if you are playing so many tables, you might not be able to vary strategy by table and maybe are playing in a more formulaic manner (in other words, maybe leaving money on the table, but staying out of trouble)
Old 10-30-2007, 03:02 PM

Not really...after practice, you can become quite good at multitabling and still using your brain.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:51 PM

Qtip, tnks for share,
i want to ask
any advice/tip/comments on Half-staking ???

i feel confortable with 50 60 BB, and some scary with > 100 BB. Some people here tell me that i MUST to go down a level, but i dont want to do.
I think withn 50 BB i can play some "real poker", because i can do every move in the same way if I has full ( i have enough bb to C-BET, 3bet,bluff, and i have FE etc.)
i just minimize variance in both way, but that is ok for me..

any Thought??
Old 10-30-2007, 04:06 PM

Absolutely.

One of my favorite things about poker is you can do whatever you want. I could go on about this topic, but that all by itself is probably enough.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:32 PM

QTip,

I've lurked and posted very little in the limit forums and always thought of you as one of the respected posters. I decided to give NL a try in March. I remember you taking a break from poker and when I saw you posting again I thought that I'd keep an eye on your progress. Your post is very inspiring and shows that dedication is key. I couldn't help but ask myself how this guys is moving up so fast in stakes? I'd see you make a post about NL10 hand and then two weeks later NL25, NL50 and so on. Well, now I understand how you got where you are now. Thank you for sharing.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:42 PM

happy to share...gl with nl.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:08 PM

Inspiring post, thanks for sharing.

I play fewer tables (only 3 atm lol), preferring a higher winrate and also being able to get a good "feel" of what is going on at each table (who is tilting, bluffing, getting impatient, etc)

I spent a long long time (about 20,000 hands single-tabling) at $10NL to really learn the game and iron out my major leaks. The money I won was meaningless at $10NL, but this taught me patience and discipline. I only moved up to $25NL when I was confident I was a winning player

I moved up to $25NL when my BR reached $400 and played very nitty at first until my BR reached $500+ After ~7500 hands at $25NL, my winrate was >10ptBB / 100 and my BR reached $800. A tiny sample of hands I know, but enough to give me confidence to take a shot at $50NL, which I did today. I hope to continue aggressively moving up the stakes, while continuing to improve my game. If anyone is interested, check out my blog for how I moved up [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2007, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play fewer tables (only 3 atm lol), preferring a higher winrate and also being able to get a good "feel" of what is going on at each table (who is tilting, bluffing, getting impatient, etc)

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw, I did this for a long time for the exact same reason, and it was very, very helpful. As you're aware though, at the smaller limits this doesn't add up to much actual cash without playing 10,000 hours a month. I started adding tables and just decided to suck it up and FOCUS. After a while it wasn't hard, but I did lose some money in the transition.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:27 PM

Good post, inspires me to play more.

How is your multi-table setup? Do you stack all your tables on top of each other, tile or cascade?

What are you VPIP and PFR percentages and how have they changed as you moved up?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:50 PM

I've done them all, but I've now settled on the vertical tile.

Somewhere in this thread I've mentioned that my vpip/pfr has changed a bit over different trains of thought. I don't think this has much to do with the limit. However, I will say that I've had to tighten up more at 5/10 and 3/6 because there is a lot more pfring.