Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Credit Card Question/Suggestion?

Ya ya ya i know another credit card question.

I charge about $800-1000 a month on my credit card and carry no balance month to month ( i pay it off every month). My current credit card gives me 1% back on all purchases. Was looking for something that will give me a little more back. Was considering a mileage card but i prefer the cash. Found this one and would appreciate thoughts or other suggestions.

http://www.discovercard.com/apply/motiva/
Old 09-02-2007, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Credit Card Question/Suggestion?

the american express card from costco has about the best rewards of cash of any and they dont change it around on you all the time as others do. its 3% 2% and 1% i think. depending on what you buy.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:09 PM

American Express Blue Cash. After you spend $6,500 for the year, you get 5% back on your most common purchases.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:01 PM

Thanks guys both of those look like good deals and i live right around the corner from a costco. I will be looking into both of them to see which would better suite me but it seems either are a better deal than what I currently have.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:16 AM

I looked into this recently. I decided on the Amex Blue and then a citi professional card for biz expenses.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:56 AM

http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/29/pf/c...ion=2007083111
Old 09-04-2007, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the american express card from costco has about the best rewards of cash of any and they dont change it around on you all the time as others do. its 3% 2% and 1% i think. depending on what you buy.

[/ QUOTE ]

After doing some research seems this is def the best bet for my circumstances. You can get the same card straight through American Express too for anyone not near a Costco.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:44 PM

Cash back is good but nothing comes close to the Starwood Preferred guest for maximizing value. You get 10k points for sign-up and the first year is fee free ($35 a year after that). You earn 1 point per dollar spent but the real value comes at redemption. Hotel stays start at 3k points a night. I booked a recent trip for 3k points a night. The lowest price for the room after some research was $140. This puts the value of each point over at 4.5 cents. No black dates either. If there is a room available it cane be booked. Can't use a hotel stay? You can convert 20k points to 25k miles on most airlines.

I am a credit card whore and avoid annual fees like the plague. This is the only card that I will happily pay an annual fee for.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cash back is good but nothing comes close to the Starwood Preferred guest for maximizing value. You get 10k points for sign-up and the first year is fee free ($35 a year after that). You earn 1 point per dollar spent but the real value comes at redemption. Hotel stays start at 3k points a night. I booked a recent trip for 3k points a night. The lowest price for the room after some research was $140. This puts the value of each point over at 4.5 cents. No black dates either. If there is a room available it cane be booked. Can't use a hotel stay? You can convert 20k points to 25k miles on most airlines.

I am a credit card whore and avoid annual fees like the plague. This is the only card that I will happily pay an annual fee for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is Starwood good at any hotel or is Starwood a chain?
Old 09-05-2007, 03:21 AM

If you have an Emigrant Savings account with 10k you can get their Cashback mastercard that pays you 1.4% of all purchases every 6 months and deposits it directly into your account just like the interest.