Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2007, 06:26 PM

Default Buy a Macbook?

I'm thinking about buying a Macbook. I don't really have a reason other than I have some poker money burning a hole in my pocket and I want to give a mac a try. If I buy a laptop my main requirement is something light and easily portable. I won't be playing games on it. I may however play poker on it, but thats actually pretty doubtful.

Given that I just want something light and portable is a Macbook a good deal? I checked one out today and they're not bad and Leopard looks pretty cool, but I don't really know of PC alternatives.

Really, if anybody has feedback good or bad about the macbook I'd love to hear it.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Buy a Macbook?

So I just searched and found some good recent information. Not sure why I didn't search before posting. But if anybody feels strongly about macbooks I'd still welcome more info, especially with respect to alternative portable laptops.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:54 PM

If you aren't going to be doing a lot of stuff that requires Windows Apps on it then go ahead, they are nice machines and Leopard is pretty cool.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:05 PM

I use a macbook because of the size, and the only thing that I don't like about them is the lack of a dedicated video card. Also, 2 GB of ram as a cap is pretty low.

Leopard is pretty awesome, and iWork is very solid for personal use and the occasional editing of an MS Office document. Compatibility with Office 2007 files is fairly good, but not perfect (obviously).

I'm waiting for a new generation of laptops before I replace this guy. I basically want a macbook pro, but the same size as this macbook. I'd also like a solid state hard drive.

If you don't need it right now, I'd wait for a little while and see if the next macworld has an announcement about new ones. Note that they "fixed" the imacs by giving them a real video card recently, so I'm expecting a similar for for the macbooks.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:52 PM

How does the lack of the videocard impact you? Does it lag at times when doing day-to-day crap or when watching movies? I have a pretty kickass desktop that meets all of my gaming needs (which, sadly isn't very much anymore) so I wouldn't be using the laptop for anything like that.

I was thinking the 1 gig of RAM would be plenty for me, but would you recommend bumping it up to 2? The Leopard multiple desktops (whatever they call it) seems like it might benefit from extra RAM since it will likely lead to having more apps open.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:48 AM

Based on the information given, I think you'll be happy with a MacBook.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:34 AM

I'm typing this post on my MacBook. It's great. It was my first try at a mac, and it worked out great. I'm not all that impressed by the OS, but I'm routinely surprised by how well the iLife apps work together. Anyway, I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] my MacBook.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:39 AM

How did you find the transition to OS X? I want this computer to be pretty hassle free, and this includes the hassle of learning how to do [censored] in an OS I've never used. Was it easy to figure out where files were stored, how to do random tasks, etc?
Old 10-29-2007, 05:20 AM

Yeah, I found it super easy. Every once in a while there's something I want to go back to Windows for (I'm still better at PaintShopPro than I am at PhotoShop or Gimp.), but I didn't find the switch so hard.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:06 AM

transition to os x? lol after u used it once u ll throw up everytime u have to work w/ windows.

no seriously: get a macbook! but use 4gb ram thats more fun.