Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2007, 03:13 PM

Default Hit a shredded tire on the expressway, get $ from county?

I was on my way to AC this morning and while driving down the Garden State Pkwy I hit a shredded transport truck tire. I was in the rightmost lane doing a little under 70. I was coming up behind a mini-van with fairly heavy traffic and as I changed lanes and pulled out from behind the mini-van I saw the tire right between lanes. Since it was right there I didn't have any choice except for to grip the wheel and have it go between the tires.

So I hit the [censored], my car bounced and I heard plastic crack. I pulled off and took a look and my bumper's got a big dent in it at the bottom, and the plastic covering under the car was cracked to hell. I ripped off the two pieces that were dangling and waited 5-10 minutes to make sure I wasn't leaking fluids. I started it back up and went to a close Honda dealership (I have a Civic) where they weren't able to do anything except tell me that I'd need a new bumper and plastic [censored].

Now to the point... the service guy said that if I called up the township/county there was a chance that they'd pay all or a portion of my deductible since its their responsibility to maintain the highway. Does anybody have any experience or knowledge about this? I'm probably going to give it a shot anyway, but I'd like more information if anyone has it.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Hit a shredded tire on the expressway, get $ from county?

Depends on the county, but certainly worth a shot. Broome county told my friend to shove it though, when a road was seriously in such disrepair that his car bottomed out bridging potholes.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:03 PM

LOL good luck. I've heard of people getting money from the trucking company when a retread flies off, but the county's not paying anything unless it's a law there that they have to.

BTW I ripped up the plastic under my Honda a while ago and I just cut off the dangling parts and ignored it. I guess it's more exposed to possible future damage now but w/e not worth the crazy high cost to replace it. You could probably superglue some rubber on there yourself.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:10 PM

Dude.

Stuff happens.

You are the problem with America.

Deal with it.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude.

Stuff happens.

Deal with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm actually going to respond to this post with more seriousness then it deserves.

I agree [censored] happens. In fact when I called a friend to tell them about this, they told me about how another friend of ours was in critical care from getting in a car accident Friday night. It put this stupid [censored] into perspective pretty nicely.

If the County won't pay anything I won't bitch and moan, I'll accept it and move on.

That being said, in the last 5-10 years I've noticed a lot more shredded tires on the road. I'm sure most of that is due to increased trucking, but nonetheless they are a huge road hazard. Not because they can bang up your car, but because they can cause serious accidents. People swerving to miss them, people losing control hitting them, the tire I hit bounced up and hit the car behind me and could have caused that driver to lose control. They're dangerous.

I've always assumed truckers don't notice when they lose a tire like that. But I actually think they need to be paying for [censored] because they're the ones leaving it on the road. For all I know the Government does charge them to clean these tires up and for damages, and distribute it to people that have had [censored] damaged because of them.

You know whats really the problem with this country? Bitchy people that act all high and mighty without really knowing what they're talking about.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:31 PM

Call up the county all bitchy and make some bureaucrats day when they laugh at you after the hang up on you.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL good luck. I've heard of people getting money from the trucking company when a retread flies off, but the county's not paying anything unless it's a law there that they have to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah and I have no way of knowing the company that caused this. If I did I would definitely expect them to pay for it.

[ QUOTE ]

BTW I ripped up the plastic under my Honda a while ago and I just cut off the dangling parts and ignored it. I guess it's more exposed to possible future damage now but w/e not worth the crazy high cost to replace it. You could probably superglue some rubber on there yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I definitely have to make that decision. I just bought the car last Saturday so I kind of want the nice new look for at least awhile longer even if it means paying 7 or 8 hundred dollars. I'm going to take it in to get it looked at and then when I get the quote I'll have to decide.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude.

Stuff happens.

Deal with it.

[/ QUOTE ]so if the doctor is operating on you and accidentally amputates the wrong leg, do you say stuff happens? No you'd sue. There's not much difference between this scenario and op's.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dude.

Stuff happens.

Deal with it.

[/ QUOTE ]so if the doctor is operating on you and accidentally amputates the wrong leg, do you say stuff happens? No you'd sue. There's not much difference between this scenario and op's.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a huge difference between op's situation and medical malpractice. Taking off the wrong leg is a breech in the standard of care that the professional owes his patient. The op's case deals w/ notice of a hazardous condition.

OP, the only way the county will be liable for your damages is if you can prove they knew the tire was there and did not attempt to remove it with in a reasonable amount of time.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:25 PM

I've never heard of anyone doing this. Seems like it would be a little hard to prove as well, essentially they'd be taking your word for it. I wouldn't get my hopes up, but it could work.

Also, if you do contact them, don't mention/offer anything about what speed you were going. If it does come up, you were doing the speed limit (like you always do!)