Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2007, 01:17 PM

Default The death of 5/10 stud in AC....

I spent a few recent sessions in AC playing a lot of 5/10 at the Taj & Trop. I usually play midweek (can't play on weekends),
which hinders me. But, the floor people at both places a told me there isn't a difference in the 5/10 games on the weekend. Here's what I found...

The same people play these games multiple times a week. I usually play at the Trop which has fewer regulars than the Taj, but at both places I felt like I was intruding on someone's home game. Everyone knows everyone else's style of play, there's few surprises. I'm 33 and I was BY FAR the youngest player.
Every time I had a decent hand I got NO action, zilch. I was purposely slowplaying big hands just to get callers. There's ZERO fish playing in these games anymore. Almost all of the players have a clue how to play stud. Some may chase more than others, but no clueless/gambooler-types.
This makes for tight, boring play. I love stud, but don't have the bankroll for $10/20. I seriously have to consider taking a break from 5/10 for a while because the games have been so lousy lately.

Maybe if I get the stud urge I should just play 1/5 for fun and not take it seriously.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:26 PM

Default Re: The death of 5/10 stud in AC....

last time i was at the trop recently and only played the 5/10 for about an hour before i got bored and switched over to NL. There was some guy next to me who kept making old man jokes that I didn't understand at all. Was nice that he kept showing me his hands though. It was pretty much like you said...couldnt get any action when I had a hand and the whole time it was like "ohhhhhh Jimmy boy's got another one of those like last Tuesday, I better git outta the way". Oh and there was one guy trying to read a book at the table which was pretty obnoxious when it was his turn to act.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:36 AM

$5/10 isn't a structure that lends itself well to good games. It's certainly small enough stakes that $5/10 games can be very good, but if people have a clue, the game is going to suck.

I've only played in either room once (on the same day, in I think December 2003). The $15/30/45 stud/8 game I played in at the Trop was pretty good. The $10/20 stud game at the Taj was loose/passive enough, but that place is a dump.

If the $10/20 game is good, just play over your bankroll. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2007, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This makes for tight, boring play. I love stud, but don't have the bankroll for $10/20. I seriously have to consider taking a break from 5/10 for a while because the games have been so lousy lately.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the games are boring/tight sounds like an excellent time to take a shot at 10/20 if it's the same way. Without a lot of action players your variance should be realtively low and you shouldn't need nearly as big a BR.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:20 AM

Small limit stud has been struggling in AC for awhile, particularly 5-10. I was just there and played a good amount of 40-80 stud this weekend - surprisingly, this game has a lot of action. Also, 20-40 stud seems like it is always good. I sat in 10-20 this afternoon because I had only a short time to play before leaving and it seemed SUBSTANTIALLY tighter. Not tough, but not really any way to make money when people ante a dollar and play tight as all hell. I'd rather walk the boards personally.

Cliff Notes: AC stud is alive and thriving at mid and high limits. Lower will prob be a tight/nitty rock garden as no new players are sitting in. Few newbs sit in the 20 and higher games but the regulars like to give lots of loose action and there are many regulars.

Jeff
Old 04-16-2007, 01:02 AM

If they want to revitalize the lower limits, they should change the $5/10 to $4/8 ($.50 ante, $1 force), or in rooms with $2 chips, $6/12 ($1 ante, $2 force). In a room with $2 chips, $8/16 would be a lot better than $10/20. It could have either a $1 or $2 ante and a $2 force. Obviously, you don't need $6/12 and $8/16 in the same room. And $15/30 is a much better game than $10/20. $5/10 and $10/20 can be good games. The structure can, however, lead to tight, nitty games.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was just there and played a good amount of 40-80 stud this weekend - surprisingly, this game has a lot of action. Also, 20-40 stud seems like it is always good. I sat in 10-20 this afternoon because I had only a short time to play before leaving and it seemed SUBSTANTIALLY tighter.

[/ QUOTE ] I'm going to be there for 3 days - leaving in a couple of days. What rooms spread the best stud games? 10/20 to 20/40 would be ideal. I obviously don't want a game that's tight - much rather have too many going too far with their hands. Any particular games/times/rooms to generally avoid?

[ QUOTE ]
Cliff Notes: AC stud is alive and thriving at mid and high limits. Lower will prob be a tight/nitty rock garden as no new players are sitting in. Few newbs sit in the 20 and higher games but the regulars like to give lots of loose action and there are many regulars.

[/ QUOTE ] These regulars giving lots of loose action... are they generally competent LAG's or just aggro fish?

Aside: I hear the Borgata has a good 10/20 mixed game (stud/8 and omaha/8) and I'm going to definitely check that out.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm going to be there for 3 days - leaving in a couple of days. What rooms spread the best stud games? 10/20 to 20/40 would be ideal. I obviously don't want a game that's tight - much rather have too many going too far with their hands. Any particular games/times/rooms to generally avoid?

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically, 20-40 at Taj goes all day, every day (as far as I know) and should be a good game with people who like to go to the river (few players to worry about imo). Borg also has 20-40, but it is usually one table on the weekend - I'm not sure if it goes during the week, but probably.

[ QUOTE ]
These regulars giving lots of loose action... are they generally competent LAG's or just aggro fish?

[/ QUOTE ]

They are just bad players - mostly passive callers who cold-call lots, etc, and plan to go to the river with many hands, give bad free cards, etc. I would definitely play 20-40 if possible b/c it is a consistently better game in my experience (though I'm sure there are soft 10 games as well).

[ QUOTE ]

Aside: I hear the Borgata has a good 10/20 mixed game (stud/8 and omaha/8) and I'm going to definitely check that out.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Borg mix is fun with some decent action - the Omaha half is played with a half kill. Taj also has the same mix game played at 15-30-45 which runs every day I believe.

GL.

Jeff
Old 04-16-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Taj also has the same mix game played at 15-30-45 which runs every day I believe.

[/ QUOTE ] Thanks for the info. Jeff.

I've never played in a game with 3 split limits like 15-30-45. Is it like 15 on 3rd and 4th st, 30 on 4th and 5th and 45 on 6th and 7th? Or something altogether different?
Old 04-16-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never played in a game with 3 split limits like 15-30-45. Is it like 15 on 3rd and 4th st, 30 on 4th and 5th and 45 on 6th and 7th? Or something altogether different?

[/ QUOTE ]

For stud, it's 15 on third, 30 on 4th and 5th and 45 on 6th and 7th (13-30-30-45-45). I forget what it is for Omaha kinda (I only played this a few times), but I believe it's 15-15-30-45.

Jeff