Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 08:19 PM

Default People keep taking this line against me

Villain is 53/11/1.3 over 50 hands or so. no read.

I realize i made the mistake of trying to bluff the unbluffable. But such is life. I have had so many donks take this donk betting line on all streets with me when i show tons of aggression. I don't get what they are doing. Or what kind of hands they are doing it with. It literally makes me fold decent hands quite often. Can anyone explain this to me please?

Party Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

CO: $64.18
Hero (BTN): $49.75
SB: $19.11
BB: $50
UTG: $30.82
MP: $30.81

Pre-Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BTN)
UTG calls $0.50, MP folds, CO calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, SB calls $0.25, BB checks

Flop: ($2.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5 Players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="red">CO bets $2</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $6</font>, 3 folds, CO calls $4

Turn: ($14.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">CO bets $5</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $20</font>, CO calls $15

River: ($54.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">CO bets $10</font>, Hero folds

Results: $54.50 Pot
CO mucked and WON $61.78 (+$35.28 NET)
Old 10-16-2007, 08:26 PM

Default Re: People keep taking this line against me

he's telling you that you are beat and he's doing it with reasonably strong hands/monsters they aren't going to fold?

what are you doing semi-bluffing a gutshot in a limped pot? CO betting 4/5 the pot in a 5-way pot shows considerable strength don't you think?
Old 10-16-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he's telling you that you are beat and he's doing it with reasonably strong hands/monsters they aren't going to fold?

what are you doing semi-bluffing a gutshot in a limped pot? CO betting 4/5 the pot in a 5-way pot shows considerable strength don't you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

But isn't the only thing that these bets acccomplish is making bluffs fold? When I show so much strength on Flop and Turn and he just keeps calling and donk leading the next street small doesn't that just help me get it in with my monsters and help me fold my bluffing hands?

p.s. You really think 10$ into a 55$ pot is a ton of strength?
Old 10-16-2007, 08:38 PM

The only monster you take this line with is 22 imo.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:18 PM

When a loose Villain makes an approximtely pot-sized bet into four other players on an ace-high, two-flush, broadway flop, I'm thinking that's probably not the best time to try to steal the pot from him.

As for the line he took, I've been seeing it more frequently lately too. But I haven't been able to figure out any one specific thing it tends to mean.

If we try to apply some sort of logic to the play, I guess Villain could be betting again (1) to set a price for his draw on the turn, (2) because he has 8h7h or something and just made a pair to go with his draw, (3) because he has a strong hand and hopes to repeat the flop action, (4) because he improved to two pair but isn't confident enough about his hand to checkraise big with it, (5) in order to deny a completely free card to a flush draw, (6) to show you that he's not going to be pushed around, or (7) because he still has Ax and wants to see if you really mean business or were just playing around with him on the flop.

I think there's a pretty good chance that one of those things provides an explanation for what's going on, but even if that's true, knowing this wouldn't be very helpful since there are so many possibilities.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:37 PM

Im not sure about this hand due to the limps pf but i have called down some hands like this out of curiosity and they are usually doing it with a strong or medium strength hand, neither of which they are going to fold.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:47 PM

why are you folding the turn
Old 10-16-2007, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why are you folding the turn

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-16-2007, 10:41 PM

why are you trying to bluff an unraised pot