Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Borgata $1,000 super TR

This was a super to the $10K. It was on Saturday evening. Comments appreciated.

The super started us w/ 8,000 chips and 30 minute levels. 198 people entered which meant that 19 seats would be awarded and 20th place would be awarded $8,000 in cash. This was the same super that I won at Mandalay Bay last year to get into the WPT there, though I think that one had a longer (read: better) structure.

I stole some pots early on and then called a raise to 150 (BB was 50) in my big blind after someone else called the raise as well. The raiser was a woman in her 50s. I had 88 and the flop came a Q-8-8 rainbow. Hmm, not too bad. I checked and the lady bet 400. The other person folded and I called, knowing that my hand was looking like a Q or an 8. Too bad there wasn't a flush draw. The turn was a 5 and I bet 625 which she called rather quickly. The river bricked and I went for the gusto by betting 1225. She folded quickly. Damn.

My chips whittled down from here for a while b/c I wasn't getting any cards and I was playing tight. Later the blinds were 100-200 and a super aggressive guy raised to 700 in the cutoff. The button folded and Rich Albanian Dude (RAD) called in the small blind. He had been playing nearly every hand and quite poorly. I had about 7000 chips and 86 offsuit in the big blind. Hmm, this might be an excellent squeeze play opportunity. My image was a tight one and I was pretty sure I wouldn't be called since they both had a pretty wide range. I decided to go for it after not much thought and stuck all my chips in. The raiser asked for a count and discovered that it was 6300 more to him, well over half his stack. He thought for a while and then took out the chips to call but didn't put them in. Then he looked at his cards again and I was pretty sure he'd fold, which he eventually did, after about two agonizing minutes. Next it was the SB's turn and he went through the same routine: he separated the chips necessary for a call and then looked at his cards a few times and finally mucked AJ face up. I collected the pot and said "I'll show one time" and threw my 8 high into the middle of the table. RAD said he would have called me if I had less chips (duh, I wouldn't have made that play if my stack was significantly shorter) but said that I hadn't played many hands so he thought I had something good (also duh, that's why I made the play).

A few hands later the RAD minraised to 400 and I called in LP two seats after him w/ QT of clubs. The button and big blind called as well which I was not too thrilled about. Flop was Kc-9c-3h to give me a gutshot straight flush draw, a huge flop for me. The lady in the big blind checked and the RAD bet just 400. I would normally raise here but my stack (about 7,000) made that a little difficult and my image was not so great after showing the earlier bluff. I decided to just call since I was being offered such a great price. The button called also and the 3 of us saw the turn which was an offsuit Ace. The RAD bet again, 1,000 this time. I called and hoped that the button would fold or just call. Sadly he raised to 4,000 which was terrible for me. RAD folded and I was getting about the right odds to call but I could not do it. It was pretty obvious that he'd turned Aces up but it didn't matter, I mucked my hand.

The big blind was 1200 later w/ an ante and I had just 9600 and was looking to make a move. The RAD pushed all-in from the hijack for about 7400, which meant he had two semi-decent cards. I peeked at my cards on the button and was happy to see QQ, figuring this would be easy. But what's this, the kid in between us who had 30,000 chips asked the dealer for a count and then promptly reraised w/ all of his chips upon hearing the dealer's answer. F me in the goat ass, this really looks like he has KK. This kid was a pretty solid player. I had flashbacks to the Mandalay Bay super when I busted Davidson Matthew (or whatever his name is) w/KK in the same fashion: he raised all-in and I asked the dealer for a count and then realized it didn't really matter and I immediately shoved in and busted his A9. Okay back to the present: I knew this kid didn't have AA b/c he wouldn't ask for a count if he had it. His body language also wasn't selling AA. I figured it was either KK or I had to get in there, but which was it? They were both in LP so that opened their ranges a bit, meaning the kid could have JJ or TT or even 99. Eventually I decided to play b/c I thought there was too good a chance that I had them drawing very slim. The kid said "Damn, I did not want you in there" and I replied "So you don't have KK?" and he turned up AK. RAD had K9 so I was 57% to win here. Amazingly the board bricked out and all of a sudden I had 30,000 chips! Things were looking good.

Later on the blind was 1600 and it folded to me in the SB w/ A6 and ~30K. I had a little more than double what the old man in the big blind had so I put him all-in. Unfortunately he had AQ and called. The board came 9-7-7 so it looked like I could chop but no such luck. I was down to about 16K after this. Each pot had around 5,000 in dead money (the blinds+antes) so I figured I could get back in there if I could steal w/ all-ins a few times, which was what I did. Our table broke and I was moved to table 1 where I'd stay for the duration.

Blinds were 1500-3000/a500 and I had just 18K and needed to make something happen. This will be tough tho b/c I have big stacks on my left which will make stealing in LP pretty difficult. A really aggressive guy opened in LP and another guy reraised all-in from a blind for not too much more so he was called. The aggro guy had AQ and the reraiser had AA and the best hand won. Then a couple hands later, the same aggressive guy opened on the button and I was pleased to see that I had the AA this time, in the SB. I raised all-in for not much more and the guy said call. I tabled my hand and looked away from the table for a moment, thinking this would be the double up that I had patiently been waiting for. Then I looked back at the felt and saw a total of four aces on table. What the hell, am I seeing double?? Turns out that the original raiser had AA as well. Crap! I flopped a running flush draw but it didn't materialize so we chopped the pot and I gained only about 2,500 chips.

A few hands later I still have 18,000 and pick up TT in the hijack. I go all-in for 6 times the big blind and the huge stack (~70K) on the button asks for a count and then calls. Damn. But then he turns up 88. Sweet! Flop is not so good however. It's 7-5-4 rainbow to give him six outs twice. The turn is a Ten so I cut his outs to 4. River is a 6.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

It's rail time for Yaser. For those keeping score at home, I was 81% to win preflop, 75% on the flop, 91% on the turn, ZERO percent on the river. With that board I was beating every pocket pair in the deck except for the one he actually had. Why couldn't have had AA or KK? I would have gone from 18K to 45K w/ that pot. I busted in about 35th place, 16 spots short of the seat.

Thanks for reading.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Borgata $1,000 super TR

nice report.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:49 PM

Looks like you played great, nothing you can do there. The only questionable hand in my mind is your push from the sb with A6 because it seems like sb had enough chips to at least consider not risking 9 bb here
Old 09-17-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like you played great, nothing you can do there. The only questionable hand in my mind is your push from the sb with A6 because it seems like sb had enough chips to at least consider not risking 9 bb here

[/ QUOTE ]

A6 is a really easy shove if the BB has only 9 BBs. Anything else would be far worse imo.