Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 04:05 AM

Default AK situation preflop... what\'s the optimal line?

Villain is someone I don't remember playing against before, but is running at 20/16 from datamined hands. So a standard 5/10 TAG. This is his first hand at the table, and he has 100Bbs.

5/10 FTP:
MP fish limps, Hero is in CO has AK and raises to $45, villain re-raises in BB to $155, fish folds. Hero...?

Now I have 5 options.
1. Fold. Advantages: Very low variance. Disadvantages: We're probably way ahead of his range here, and it's pretty damn nitty.

2. Call, with intention of folding to CBet on any flop that doesn't contain an Ace, a King, or a profitable draw. Advantages: Also low variance. Disadvantages: We're still going to often be ahead of his range here, so his CBet is often going to be taking down the pot a lot of times we're ahead. Also, we're often not going to be getting lots of action when we do have a favorable flop.

3. Call, with intention of shoving over his CBet on most flops when we just have overs. Advantages: We'll be taking the pot down most of the time, and when we get called, we usually have outs. Disadvantages: Very high variance.

4. 4-bet small (to $300 or so), with intention of calling a 5-bet all-in. Advantages: May induce a 5-bet bluff, good to merge this with the times you're 4-bet bluffing. Disadvantages: Offers villain great pot odds to flatcall, most likely putting us in an awkward position on the flop. The biggest problem with this play is that his re-raise was so large.

5. 4-bet all-in. Advantages: We have the best hand most of the time, so may as well take the pot down now. Disadvantages: High variance. We're investing $1000 to win a pot with $215 in it. We're pretty much never getting called by a worse hand, but it may induce him to fold some pocket pairs.

So what's the best move out of all of these?
Old 10-13-2007, 04:36 AM

Default Re: AK situation preflop... what\'s the optimal line?

Typically a mixture of 2, 3 and 4.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:37 AM

Actually given his bet size 4 is not good, so more like 2, 3 and 5.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:43 AM

The thing is, since we have (as far as I can remember) no history at all. Because of that, there's no reason to mix it up by doing certain things a certain percentage of the time. This is effectively our first hand, so one of these options must be better than the other.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:48 AM

Don't know why you'd make a plan about what you're going to do on the flop before you see a flop/how much he bets/if he bets here.

I'd just shove though, cuz I want him to think twice about 3betting me, in general, you won't make mistakes post-flop, his range can be fairly wide here, and because going all in is fun.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:50 AM

i dont hate on bigjim and his number 5 but i number 4 ery time cause thats my style kid.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:51 AM

n/t
Old 10-13-2007, 08:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'd just shove though, cuz I want him to think twice about 3betting me, in general, you won't make mistakes post-flop, his range can be fairly wide here,

[/ QUOTE ]
basically my thoughts.
make it 350-370$ 'n call a shove becomes more interesting the more you play against him imho.