Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 06:54 AM

Default gonna give microstakes lhe a shot..

micro stakes limit hold em was my first real experience with the game. when i turned 18 i signed up for pokerroom.com and played .25-.50 limit hold em for 5-6 hours a day for about 60-90 days. then i said [censored] it, too grueling lol.

for the next 3 years my experience with poker has been sporadic. mainly with hold em, no limit mostly. ive been on a bunch of different sites playing all the different hold em formats

i estimate that in 3 years i'm down... $300-400?

but i'm trying to seriously get back into it, and i have my eyes on .25-.50 lhe on ftp. right now i'm tagging 4-6 tables play money just to get the feel for it again and to get the fundamentals down

things i know i should get started on but too god damn lazy to even start

1. finish reading small stakes hold 'em by sklansky
2. read all the stickies in this forum
3. watch some vids of .25-.50 lhe in play
4. constantly post hands, discuss my game, share hand histories, and make my own vids

its all so overwhelming lol. anyone got anything to say?
Old 09-12-2007, 08:13 AM

Default Re: gonna give microstakes lhe a shot..

Why do you wanna go back to Limit again? Because you like it more, or because you were a loser at NL?

Anyone (who has a minimum of discipline) can be a winner at NL microstakes, especially someone who is motivated and willing to improve by the ways you mentioned.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:01 PM

I don't mean to sound critical, but some of your statements seem like it's going to be a chore for you to play, and you don't seem too thrilled about doing what it takes to improve either. You certainly know what you need to do to get started, but I guess if I were you, I'd ask myself why I'm playing and what are my motivations.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:02 PM

Repeat your step 1 four or five times, and you should be good to go [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Make SURE you post a couple of your most difficult hands after every session, and make sure you understand where you went wrong so you can improve and leave those mistakes behind you.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:48 PM

lol kornspitz, is that a piece of poop as your profile pic? thats disgusting

but to answer your question

i'm going back to limit because although it is a game of droughts, my "bankroll" (or lack of lol) can't handle the short term fluctuations of no limit

and yeah, part of it also could be cause i'm losing

and maybe i view limit hold em as a more fundamentally based game

but the biggest reason is because i view the limit game as a game of less short term fluctuations and i like the objectivity and restraint of it, which is good for a relatively first timer
Old 09-12-2007, 01:51 PM

and in response to me not being too thrilled, i've been pretty motivated in my play money practice sessions but i look at all the work ahead of me and i feel overwhelmed and i had the same issue with no-limit

it all looks so overwhelming

and i view limit as a stepping stone for no limit
Old 09-12-2007, 02:22 PM

Limit actually has bigger swings.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and in response to me not being too thrilled, i've been pretty motivated in my play money practice sessions but i look at all the work ahead of me and i feel overwhelmed and i had the same issue with no-limit

it all looks so overwhelming

and i view limit as a stepping stone for no limit

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe you're thinking there's so much more to learn, that it will take forever to get real good. If you're playing low enough limits, most of your opponents will be easy to exploit if your disciplined enough in your play. Try working on one thing at a time, instead of trying to work on your whole game at once.

I don't play limit so I'm sure someone more experienced can reply better than I can, but I'm thinking that they are played quite a bit differently and the transition to nl can be difficult. I thought I read somewhere that variance in limit can be harsh as well, due to having pot odds to continue in a hand even when you're behind, but I could be wrong about that.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Limit actually has bigger swings.

[/ QUOTE ]

explain please.

I do not see how this is possibel
Old 09-12-2007, 09:59 PM

Limit holdem can have incredible swings. In No Limit you have much better chance of protecting your hand and limiting your fluctuations. Variance in Limit is MUCH greater than NL.