Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2007, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Helpful tips for hosting a home game

[ QUOTE ]
Always welcome them in your home/place and always thank them for coming,

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Especially the new people. In fact, I should be better about that myself.

[ QUOTE ]
and always ask them to bring a friend the next time they come.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree. Only ask the people who really give you a good feeling to invite a friend. Also consider how good of a player they are and how good their friends are likely to be.

[ QUOTE ]
I try and be as friendly as possible, there's a good chance some of the guys/girls will only see each other the next time they are at your game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely. At my last game, some folks were talking about how nice it was to see each other every week or two.

[ QUOTE ]
If the guy/girl is a total stiff/rock/ahole/know-it-all/douche/sob...then why even invite them to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. If a person is bringing the game down, gotta step up. You may feel like a prick, but the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one. I've had to 86 a few people, and the game has improved for it.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:51 AM

Default Re: Helpful tips for hosting a home game

I am often complemented on my home game, so here are some of my tips:

- Get nice equipment. A nice felted table is really easy to make, costs about 50 bucks. Can go right over a kitchen table. I have Paulsons, I love them, but those arent for everyone. I suggest getting at least about metal slug chips, some NexGens. Also, save yourself the hassle and get a nice Copag set up. All this makes the experience that much better.
- Make sure the rules are known by all. Every new player I give a quick rundown of the chip values, the cash protocol, the cashout protocol, etc. I have a solid group of regulars that help with this.
- Cash: One person only. I'm the host, they are my chips, I let no one else touch it. I like to use the Copag box to keep the cash, and I suggest jacking a rack from a B+M next time, or a few. Makes everything SOOOOOO much better and quicker. For change, I like to cash out into all the excess small bills we have, and I keep a little on hand. For unround numbers, just have everyone place what they have in the middle for a change pot. Its a good check before cash out that everyone has counted right.
- Clean up and set up: I usually have staggered arrivals, and get help with set up and clean up. It takes 5 minutes, but the room is back to normal, mopped, garbage out, everything put away.
- Use e-mail or texting to get a hold of people. Makes it easier than calling IMO, keep a list organized and just send it out.