Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2007, 03:07 PM

Default How do you handle an All-in all the time player

I'm playing 1/2 with a slightly drunk guy, who gets in a pattern of raising $30 preflop with rags like q4 spades and hits a q or hits absolutely nothing, and he goes all in for a $600 stack. Sometimes he actually has something like pocket queens and he smooth calls, but on the flop no matter what he's all in.

Or he hits second pair, and he's all in. Or he has a monster flush draw and he's all in. Or a scare flush draw card hits on the turn when somebody has been betting the whole way, and he's all in. The only time I stacked this guy was when I had a set of 9s against his pair of Jacks on the flop, he declared all in and I won, but he bought back in for like $250 more.

Now my stack is at like $950 and I've bought in for $500 and my $400 loss from Saturday has been covered. I get Kings and raise $10, he rereaises to $30, I say all in, he doesn't even hesitate to call with A7 offsuit for his whole stack. Flop comes 773, his trips beat my Kings.

Then later on at about 5 a.m. he's been doing his all in with top pair on like 3 shown flops. I get pocket 10s. Guy with AK hearts raises to $15, Mr. all-in raises all in, and gets insta called by the original raiser. Dealer kept saying here's your chance to get him. By then he had a $600 stack to match mine, and the other guy only had $174. Is it worth it here to risk losing $154 to the other guy, to have the possibility to get all-in's stack? Mr. All-in ended up only having 99, which held up to win the whole thing, but I couldn't force myself to get in there and do it with that insta call, and even if all-in only had 2 overs, my 10s were still very vunerable to being out flopped, turned, or rivered at any time during the hand, so I didn't feel it was right to gamble my whole stack on that possibility.

Later by about 6 a.m. he's been all in about 6 of every 10 hands, with top pair or a draw most time. Then he will cool down for 20 minutes and start it his all in routine all over again. Flop comes 7-8-10. He goes all in. I've got k-10. I think he's doing his usual top pair, or monster draw bs. I really debate and wonder what the odds are that he's got 2 pair, or that he has a 10 with a better kicker than mine. I finally decide he's might have j-10 at best or q-10 maybe and I call him. But sure enough he has j-9 for the nut straight and he takes my whole stack and acts like a drunk [censored] to me as he takes my chips. I took it like a man and didn't say anything back to him and walked away though.

Obviously these calls didn't turn out the way I hoped, but what am I supposed to do against this guy? Do I pretty much have to wait for the nuts, which is what I was doing the whole night with everybody, just because of the fear of his all in bet on every hand I had money involved in.

Also, was my call on the last hand that bad? When you see a guy pushing top pair left and right all night long (several times with J-10 with 10 high on the board by the way), how wrong is it to committ my whole stack on top pair to see if I've finally caught him with a slightly better hand? Right now I'm highly angry at myself for not leaving when I was up $450 just because I thought I could stack him when I picked up the nuts or something. It seemed like if I stuck around and waited long enough I could stack him on a bluff, but it never happened. Oh, I wish I had left at about 3 a.m.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:12 PM

Default Re: How do you handle an All-in all the time player

buy him a drink and pick a spot
Old 02-27-2007, 04:00 PM

Thanks, but a spot was few and far between to find with this guy, and I will never buy him a drink after acted like such a classless winner when he won my chips. If somebody raised preflop for $12 and 3 people called and it got back around to him, he pushed all in, so my chances of ever getting a set on him again was pretty slim, based on his all in bs. So unless he limps in, and I get a monster my chances against a guy like this are slim.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my chances against a guy like this are slim.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 02-27-2007, 04:17 PM

What exactly is so funny about that quote. I'm being honest, and looking for advice on how to counteract this type of opponent. I usually play TAG, until I get a ton of chips and then I start switching it up, but even with my stack I couldn't even begin to get that way at this table. I'm looking for a little help, not somebody to laugh at my post.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:27 PM

1. flop a pair
2. call push
3. ?????
4. Profit
Old 02-27-2007, 04:36 PM

if your unwilling to play a pot with this guy, when your hands are clearly WAY ahead of his range (ie. TT hand) then why are you even sitting in this game in the first place? its clearly over your head
Old 02-27-2007, 04:38 PM

First, you definitely should have risked losing $174 to beat Mr. All-in with TT. Second, with a drunk who likes to gamble, you have to be willing to gamble as well. It was just bad luck that he flopped the nut straight on you. If you could have bought back in after that and toughed it out, you'd have eventually caught him and not gotten unlucky. The best way to handle a maniac like that is to be patient for a good hand, then be willing to gamble with it once you have it. TPGK is probably good enough in most cases. Hopefully you run into him again... In general, if you really don't know how to handle someone like him, it might be best to just find another table.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:50 PM

You should be willing to take risks with this guy anytime you have an edge on his range... ideally. This would be the optimal strategy.

However, if you are on a shorter roll, you may want your edge to be slightly larger, or if you both are deep, and the amount of chips you have is a significant portion of your roll. You can still make money on this game playing tighter, but you will have to be patient.

Overall, It doesn't sound like your play was terrible, it sounds more like you just had some bad luck.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:01 PM

Do what you can to get your money in with the best of it, and hope your hand holds up. What you did looks allright. Just have to wait for the edge and get the money in.

With a guy like this at the table, EVERYONE wants a piece of him, so you need to worry as much, if not more, about the other players at the table. If he's all in, and you're ready to call, be careful if the guy who has been folding for an hour suddenly perks up.