Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 10:40 PM

Default Did I play this AJ wrong

1/2 No Limit game. I've got about $250, guy I get involved in the hand with has about $200 or less.

About 3 limpers in, and I'm in late position with AJ Spades. I raise $10 get called by the guy with $200 who has AK. 2 of the limpers call making it a $40 pot.

Flop comes AK8 2 spades. Checked around to me and I bet $20, guy with AK raises to $50. I really thought I was okay here because I had a 4 flush and top pair with a pretty solid kicker. Everybody folds I call. Pot is $140.

On the turn a blank hits and he goes all in for his last $150 or so. Basically he overbet the pot. I'm pretty sure I made a horrible call here, but I couldn't see the AK because he limped with it on the button and thought my AJ might have a good chance, like he maybe had A8 or K8 and I could pair my Jack and win with a better 2 pair or even hit the flush. Anyways I called the $150, and hit a Jack on the river to make 2 pair but lose to his 2 pair of Aces and Kings.

So with top pair and a flush draw here with a good kicker, was this an awful call? I feel it was, because before I called I told the guy that if I was about to put a bad beat on him I was sorry. Bad thing is I think I was going to lose all my chips on the river anyways if he still had money left.

Was my call as bad as I thought it was at the time, or not good but not terrible, or alright?
Old 02-22-2007, 10:49 PM

Default Re: Did I play this AJ wrong

At best you have 12 outs going into the river, and it just becomes a math problem at that point. There is no incentive for villain to bet out the turn unless he has AK, A8, or set and believes you'll call in a bad spot like this. Also, a J is not a good kicker. I agree that AK was hard to read given his limp, but that makes 88 or A8 much more likely. 290/150 --> 2:1 and with your 12 outs you're getting 46:12 --> 3.8:1. Come up with a range of hands that could have made that bet and then run the math.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:19 PM

Default Re: Did I play this AJ wrong

Why did you flat call on the flop? I'm guessing that you thought you might be behind. At that point, you need to have a plan for the turn. It doesn't make much sense to wait for a brick on the turn and then put in all of your money.

I think if we push the flop we get AQ or maybe even A8 to fold sometimes here, depending on the player.