Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 07:04 PM

Default KK vs short stack

Villain 32/21/2 > 50ish hands. I have to fire a 3/4 pot size c-bet which will put him all in right? He will undoubtebly check an ace into me here, but won't I be ahead more often than not?

Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 4 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

UTG: $24.65
BTN: $26.65
SB: $11.65
Hero (BB): $58.15

Pre-Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BB)
2 folds, <font color="red">SB raises to $1</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $4</font>, SB calls $3

Flop: ($8) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero ...
Old 11-10-2007, 07:10 PM

Default Re: KK vs short stack

Ya this spot is usually pretty retarded. I probably fire 1/2 pot and puke when he shoves.

If he's just recently short and tilting, I may call it in. If if he's been sitting patiently and shoves on top I just fold it.

I doubt there's really any reason to check behind on the flop here for "pot control" because he has 2 more streets to get in his tiny stack any way you look at it.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:13 PM

This might be a leak but here I usually push. Believe it or not I have been called here by QQ or JJ enough for it to be more EV than checking with the intention of folding or betting with the intention of folding.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:15 PM

I check the flop with the intention of getting it in on the turn, there is a greater chance your donk opponent will bet a the turn if you show weakness.

Your should get the money in with KK against a shortie HU with so much in PF everytime, but it is probably just better IMO to wait till the turn.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:15 PM

While you're certainly ahead more often than not, he won't put additional money in on this flop without having you beat (making a bet here -EV). A spade draw is a relatively small portion of his range relative to possible ace holdings.

I'd check behind on this flop, but how you should proceed on the turn/river depends greatly on his habits that you've hopefully been observing. Being able to evaluate a situation by balancing opponent's frequencies and evolving board textures is one of the most important skills for players to develop as they rise in stakes.

Additionally, make sure you don't become a slave to position or otherwise "standard" plays. Just because you were a preflop raiser and are in position doesn't mean you should fire a c-bet at every flop. Doing this on boards with such polarized ranges is very exploitable by strong thinking opponents in the larger games.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:07 PM

Check. After showing weakness he's going to be more willing to stick his money in with lesser holding, theres going to be a good chance he does have an ace, but over holdings are going to be in his range. Your also controlling the pot size by checking.