Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 02:19 AM

Default Re: Hi all, i am new and i have few questions.

if you plan on surviving, plan on saving your money for poker books.. i have 14 of them.. and they were worth every penny
also, you will be learning and improving so quickly you will think you were crazy for not reading a good poker book sooner!
Old 08-27-2007, 02:39 AM

Hi Benayoun and welcome.
Books are the best idea.
Additionally you might try the 14 days to master hold'em program on www.TiltedDonkey.com
It is not perfect, but it will make you a better player in 14 days. I would not recommend doing the steps where you deposit money online to play at tilteddonkey. You should be doing a rakeback or deposit bonus if you are going to maximize your initial bankroll. But much of the advice there is pretty sound. It will help with pot odds, and it addresses some of the questions you asked above.
GL and see you at the tables.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:04 AM

Hi, i would like to hear about this book:
The green poker boker ( or something like that) by Phol Gordon.
I have chance to change my order until tommorow, and since this book is on my language i will like to hear which one is better.
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:12 PM

hi, i know it wont be the answer you want but...

just being around these forums will help some. reading over hands that people post and thinking about what you would do in the situation and comparing that someone else's advice and understanding why theyre different and why either you're idea is better or the other persons is. simply put, the exposure to the poker community helped me, books are great too though. goodluck
Old 08-27-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you plan on surviving, plan on saving your money for poker books.. i have 14 of them.. and they were worth every penny
also, you will be learning and improving so quickly you will think you were crazy for not reading a good poker book sooner!

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but until he can afford them, libraries are a good idea.

I've been grinding my way up, first through three play sites, and when I thought I was ready, for real money. I went through a couple $50 bankrolls before I became a winner at $1 sit-n-goes, built my bankroll, and now I'm becoming a winning player at $5 SNG. I did most of that before I owned a single poker book.

I have read about 15 poker books so far. I bought two of them, two were gifts, and the rest I either got from libraries, or sat in the library and read them (if I was in a city where I didn't have a library card, and had some time to kill).

It can be very discouraging for a new player to hear about all the things that he "must" have: Here are just some of the necessities, according to posts on this site:

Poker Tracker, PAHUD, Cardrunners, a certain type/size of monitor, books, Wilson Turbo software, Pokerstove, and others I can't recall at the moment.

I told a player on another site to look at it this way. Poker players are supposed to manage their bankroll, and if you can't afford it, don't buy it.

I will buy many of the things on that list when I can afford to, and not before.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point, I've checked out some books at the library before I purchased them as well. Heck, you can even read books at B&N or Borders if you wanted to. Of course it's not necessary to read books or subscribe to a site that teaches you how to play, but it will certainly give you a jump-start to get the fundamentals down. I disagree with the old saying that practice makes perfect. Practice makes habits, and in my opinion it's better to develop good habits with the resources available, than to spend more money learning your way through this game. For $10.00, any new player will make that money back multiple times by spending the money on a book and applying the principles learned, before making another deposit.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:16 PM

hahaha thats the funniest post i have ever seen
Old 08-27-2007, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been grinding my way up, first through three play sites, and when I thought I was ready, for real money. I went through a couple $50 bankrolls before I became a winner at $1 sit-n-goes, built my bankroll, and now I'm becoming a winning player at $5 SNG. I did most of that before I owned a single poker book.

I have read about 15 poker books so far. I bought two of them, two were gifts, and the rest I either got from libraries, or sat in the library and read them (if I was in a city where I didn't have a library card, and had some time to kill).

It can be very discouraging for a new player to hear about all the things that he "must" have: Here are just some of the necessities, according to posts on this site:

Poker Tracker, PAHUD, Cardrunners, a certain type/size of monitor, books, Wilson Turbo software, Pokerstove, and others I can't recall at the moment.

I told a player on another site to look at it this way. Poker players are supposed to manage their bankroll, and if you can't afford it, don't buy it.

I will buy many of the things on that list when I can afford to, and not before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi mate,
I didnt understand those :
Poker Tracker, PAHUD, Cardrunners, a certain type/size of monitor, Wilson Turbo software, Pokerstove
I am new and couldnt understand they mean.
Anyway i will buy the green book, and i hope i will improve my home game, any advices what to do while reading>? shall i hold card , etc?
Old 08-28-2007, 01:35 AM

I wouldn't spend any time at tilteddonkey.com: The first hand of their tutorial awarded my nut flush the pot — against a full house.

I award them a KITN.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:52 AM

Some good advice. Read a few books to get yourself "thinking" more about the game how you would react in certain spots. If you cannot afford a $30 book, then go to the bookstore and read it there.
I have been studying the game for a couple years and still have a lot to learn.
Some of my leaks in my first 10,000 hands were bluffing AK and calling turn raises with middle pair or on a draw without pot odds. I was a -1BB to -3BB at .25/.50 limit full ring.
Over the past 12,000 hands I am running 6.5BB/100 at .25/.50 full ring limit and have plugged the overcard problem as well as refined my image.

Like yourself I am new to no-limit. I am going to focus exclusively on no-limit. Here's my strategy:

1: Joined Cardrunners and am going to watch one video a day for the next month or two.

2: There are several no-limit books I own and am going to read those as well. Pro NL Hold Em, Little Green book, NLHTAP, Mathematics of Poker (about 33 percent through).

3: Play $10NL and get my bankroll up to $500 so I can play $25NL. For NL I want to have 20 buy-ins as a starting BR.

4: Post hands from my no limit sessions and get advice.

5: Transition from full ring to 6-max.

Poker is a journey. Experience is your greatest teacher. You will make good and bad decisions and learn from them. You will learn how to be selectively agressive, play tight, learn starting hand strategy, listen to your instinct, know your opponent and her tendencies and possibly her state of mind. You will find patterns to her play.
Remember to pick your spots and stack em'!