Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2007, 03:20 PM

Default Re: No Limit compared to Limit

[ QUOTE ]
Can somebody here explain to me the major difference in Limit to No Limit and how it changes your strategy?

[/ QUOTE ]
I would consider the two major differences to be bet sizing and understanding implied odds.

And along with the understanding of implied odds, this makes starting hand requirements different in NL. Usually you can open your range in NL more so than Limit.

Finally, position is much more important in NL.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can somebody here explain to me the major difference in Limit to No Limit and how it changes your strategy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the biggest difference is value betting.

In Limit Holdem you do a heck of a lot of value betting (especially in SH Limit). In NL if you did anywhere near as much value betting (compared to limit) you would simply be donking off way too much profit.

... that is why any NL poker player who complains that in limit holdem, they can 'never get anyone to fold'; is simply failing to really grasp the idea of how to effectively use value betting to play Limit Holdem profitably.

In NL you money from two or three big pots a session; in Limit you make your money from having to battle for every little value edge that presents itself...
Old 03-02-2007, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the biggest difference is value betting.

In Limit Holdem you do a heck of a lot of value betting (especially in SH Limit). In NL if you did anywhere near as much value betting (compared to limit) you would simply be donking off way too much profit.

... that is why any NL poker player who complains that in limit holdem, they can 'never get anyone to fold'; is simply failing to really grasp the idea of how to effectively use value betting to play Limit Holdem profitably.

In NL you money from two or three big pots a session; in Limit you make your money from having to battle for every little value edge that presents itself...

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this.

I believe a skilled LHE player know the value of a hand and situation with more precision. This skill is required to know when to bet and raise for value, protect their hand and when to continue with weak draws.

I’m not a NL player but as I understand it the power of the bet and the play against players are more important here. A well executed bet can push people off the best hand (i.e protect their hand).

But what if you combine these skills? I believe you would improve your NL play.

Especially the value play, in LHE its often important NOT to push people off hands but instead make them pay more than they want to. A check-raise is often for value rather than representing a strong hand! To know when and when not to make a play for value are one of the most important skill sets in LHE play.

If you in NL could improve your skills in this regard and find similar situations I guess you could use your “play against player” skills to extract even more since you can design the bet size. Of cause you will need the bankroll to take the beats when you fail but it would not be for value if you don’t make profit in the long run!

Old 03-03-2007, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can somebody here explain to me the major difference in Limit to No Limit and how it changes your strategy? All I've ever played is No Limit, so limit seems confusing to me about how things might change for you in limit. For instance, you can't bluff anybody top 2 pair for all your chips representing a set, so for only 1 more bet it seems like they would most likely always be making a huge mistake to fold as opposed to in No Limit to where for all your chips you better be right on your calls.

So is that what they mean by limit when they say it's a mechanical game? Does this mean you pretty much bet all your good hands for as much as you can get them for, and for the most part don't bother bluffing as much?

Maybe this is all the wrong thinking about the game, but I just don't understand the idea of how the game becomes different when it's a fixed limit game, so if somebody could help me out I'd appreciate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a discussion in the Small Stakes No-Limit Hold 'Em forum about eight months ago about this very subject. Some of these guys moved from Limit to No-Limit, and some of them have played No-Limit exclusively. Their advice is solid.

Pokey's Limit and No-Limit Comparison Thread

By going through the links you will uncover the differences from game to game as well as the advantages and maybe disadvantages of playing either format.

In my opinion, both games have its subtleties, its advantages, and disadvantages. Players make money in both.

Hopefully, the concern is not, "I hate these novice players calling all the way to the river and drawing out on me!" Because the novice players call all-in bets and draw out to win too.

Also, check this thread out: Pokey's Comparison with Advice

Scroll down until you get to Pokey's information about the game. It will clear up the misconceptions in this thread.