Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2007, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Parents say Quit Poker...FBI

[ QUOTE ]
As an employee of the F.B.I. (pm me if you have more questions), the mere fact that you play poker does not disqualify you. I got the job. The polygraph that they administer consists of three parts (don't quote me for certain, I do not administer them): finding out if you've ever committed a crime, finding out if you have contacts to foreign intelligence agencies, and determining if you have questionable behaviors that would make you more likely to be manipulated; i.e., you're a problem gambler and you're more likely to sell sensitive information due to your desperate situation, a person prone to drug abuse, etc. That's not what they're looking for. In fact, I can tell you, there are many F.B.I. employees, both special agents and peripheral employees, that play online poker (do not forget, all F.B.I. employees are subject to be polygraphed at any time, so it would do no good to lie about it).
It could only get in the way of you getting a job if you're a problem gambler.
Hope this helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not a FBI employee but do work in Law enforcement. They are more concerned with any trouble areas, debit, excessive drinking, drugs, excessive gambling. Anything that someday will get u in trouble. That if gets out of control will be a problem. The poly, don't lie, thats the only advice I have for it.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They are more concerned with any trouble areas, debit, excessive drinking, drugs, excessive gambling

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the key, not whether or not you gamble.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:36 AM

Er, did nobody mention this book yet?

'Read 'Em and Reap: A Career FBI Agent's Guide to Decoding Poker Tells' by Joe Navarro, FBI Special Agent Ret.

http://www.amazon.com/Phil-Hellmuth-.../dp/0061198595
Old 01-06-2007, 03:46 AM

That list is BS.

I got my top secret clearance revoked when I was 19 for alcohol related incidents that happened when I was 16-17. Nevermind the fact that I had no incidents whatsoever after I turned 18. You do stupid crap as a minor because you know you can get away with it and not face penalties.

The worst of my incidents was getting pulled over at age 17 when there was an open container in the car so myself and my 2 friends in the car had to go to some stupid meeting with a parent 1 night.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:31 PM

That list is federal statute = not BS.

The fact that you clearly had alcohol problems when underage is specifically addressed in that list - your assumption that being underage means you "get away with it" does not apply to Federal positions - The Feds can look into underage crimes, as you must now see is all too obvious.

AB
Old 01-07-2007, 10:36 PM

just play cards for a living.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That list is BS.

I got my top secret clearance revoked when I was 19 for alcohol related incidents that happened when I was 16-17. Nevermind the fact that I had no incidents whatsoever after I turned 18. You do stupid crap as a minor because you know you can get away with it and not face penalties.

The worst of my incidents was getting pulled over at age 17 when there was an open container in the car so myself and my 2 friends in the car had to go to some stupid meeting with a parent 1 night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you telling us that you disclosed these incidents, the FBI didn't care, and then suddenly they did care?

Or are you telling us you didn't disclose them? Guess what, if you didn't, revocation is automatic once they find out. That's not due to alcohol, that's due to dishonesty, and is stated from the very beginning.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:20 PM

I know a lot of people with very high clearances in the DC area, many of whom play cards or bet on sports. The best thing to do on any polygraph or background check is be honest.

I used to play in a game with all NSA guys, they all had higher clearances than your typical FBI guy and were long term guys, meaning they've passed multiple checks throughout their careers. The only way that your gambling will DQ you is if you lie about it. Same thing with past drug use (although certain things and time frames come into play there)
Old 01-17-2007, 03:28 PM

A relative of mine used to play poker for money with US Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia. And he's well known for liking poker. So it's not seen as being shady as many might think.