Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2006, 10:44 AM

Default Re: Variance: My life (super tldr, cliffs notes, ask me anything, zzzb

No. I have 6 cents on my meal card which will be gone soon, $14 to get home, and $11ish in additional cash. That's about it. I may be getting $500 from some various things soon if things work out well. If they don't, then I am going to make sure basic needs are met first, and then work for enough money to play nano stakes overrolled (which is basically like a day's worth of work, lol) and then play that, with the goal not initially for $, but for practice at playing meta-poker well.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no offense but it doesn't seem like you have the tools to ever be a successful gamer of any sort. MTG or poker. you can't go pro at MTG in 2 weeks or anything close to that. you also can't play $555s when you have a 5% ROI over 2000 $27s.

it's a skill game, not a get rich quick scheme.

[/ QUOTE ]

it was 3 weeks, and I wasn't expecting to be a pro. I was just going to try to be really [censored] good in 3 weeks. That's basically all I did those 3 weeks, playing MTG or study MTG, [LITERALLY 24/7] so that is some heavily condensed work that would be like 20 "normal" weeks.

My ROI at the time was easily double digit, even at $55. And I played alot more than 2000 >= $25 sngs.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:54 AM

FWIW UW has a food bank for students, go get yourself something.

edit: it's in the SLC I believe.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
foodbank

[/ QUOTE ]

i remember looking for this, then i got bored of looking

another factor is i'd rather not get embarassed, honestly im not at that point yet, maybe if it was like 4 days and i haven't eaten anything yet i'd go, but thanks for the advice.

edit: i realize that other people probably look at me as weak for caring so much if i am caught gettin food off a food bank, but thats the way i am

second edit: i've been going to various gatherings of sorts for the food they give to everyone anyways, in a way its a blessing in disguise because its letting me meet more people
Old 12-20-2006, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
foodbank

[/ QUOTE ]

i remember looking for this, then i got bored of looking

another factor is i'd rather not get embarassed, honestly im not at that point yet, maybe if it was like 4 days and i haven't eaten anything yet i'd go, but thanks for the advice.

edit: i realize that other people probably look at me as weak for caring so much if i am caught gettin food off a food bank, but thats the way i am

[/ QUOTE ]

I think thats how almost anyone would feel.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:06 AM

go to everest poker. enter those one table freerolls where u can win 3 cent. one day grinding those and u ll have 30 cents. then enter some 10 cents sngs. and move up.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
go to everest poker. enter those one table freerolls where u can win 3 cent. one day grinding those and u ll have 30 cents. then enter some 10 cents sngs. and move up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, this is an interesting point. When I was first starting at had $0, I would do this yocto-grinding on pokerchamps, and build (freerolls, 2NL/2sngs (the lowest they had), 10NL/5sngs, various overlay MTTs and satellites) until I had over $5000 ($2700 from the big score.)

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/8285/pokarju9.jpg

Now, grinding away pennies at a time is considerably more difficult, even though I find the games easier. But at the time I first started, I kept records and stuff and was very disciplined.

I remember during that MTT that I won, this girl called me on the phone and I told my mom to tell her I went out. But really I was playing that MTT, lol. Also, I had AKs in the SB, and bet it out PF, flop and turn. Then on the river, I had a PSB left and I thought for the longest time, and finally I pushed and my opponent thought for the longest time and folded and I won, and I remember thinking "if I won this MTT, that will be the reason I won" (a HUGE giant bluff against the other CL'er that suceeded). Also 3 handed I pushed nearly every hand with a giant chiplead. I really thought I was the [censored] after that MTT, and I'm real glad I turned down hooking up with a chick just to ship it holla.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I remember during that MTT that I won, this girl called me on the phone and I told my mom to tell her I went out. But really I was playing that MTT, lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously man, just about everything in your posts suggest you have a gambling problem coupled with poor bankroll management. You should quit poker and start finding other ways to finance your education.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:18 AM

My education is already financed by my scholarship and OSAP money which is like 99% forced payment already. (The Canadian gov't and the best university in Canada are my stakers, holla.)

If you were deep in a MTT (so the MTT was worth maybe $1000) and your net worth was $2000, would you leave home for a girl you could see any day? If you leave home, IMO it is a really bad decision.

Overall I've been a net winner from gambling, and that is only going to improve through better play and BR management (and playing super overrolled.) Also, I haven't been gambling (besides socially) for a very long time. I'm probably being defensive though, and I'd be willing to accept that I have a gambling problem. I just don't think it affects my life negatively (the best times I remember involve gambling or were fueled by money won from gambling, like trips and meeting people)
Old 12-20-2006, 12:17 PM

Honestly, I read the first half and skimmed the rest.

I think the you really need to get a job and focus on shoring yourself up in the short term. Things like eating and being able to live in relative comfort are important.

Once you get that situation squared away, I would seriously investigate if the university has some sort of consueling program. It sounds like you have some serious interpersonal communications as well as emotional detachment issues.

I would guess a lot of your self discipline issues relate to that as well. It's not a criticism or anything like that, just a suggestion.

I would bet that if you had a handle on your financial situation such that you could actually eat a decent meal every so often (like three times a day?) and sat down and talked to someone about your people issues, I think it would help you a great deal in the long run, both academicly, socially and on the poker table.

I knew a lot of kids like you at school, brilliant analytical minds who would just waste their talent avoiding their responibilities and focusing on the bullsh@t of life like video games and other -EV pursuits.

Get a handle on your people skills and work on relating to people better, a bright guy with analytical as well as interpersonal communications skills is worth gold in the business world. A quirky, reclusive math geek is a dime a dozen.