Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 10:20 AM

Default Another wtf spot on the river

4 handed 50-100

SB is a aggressive regular who's not involved in the hand. BB usually plays 1-2 HU and plays well and value bets very well in headsup play. CO is unknown and spewy, and is currently sitting out at one 8-16 table, so draw your conclusions on that.

CO (utg) limps, I raise the button w/ A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB folds, BB calls, CO calls.

Flop

3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB checks, CO checks, I bet, BB calls, CO raises, I call (with the intention of raising some turn cards and just calling others, depending on whether or not i think/want the BB will fold. i'm still wondering about this but kind of like the idea) BB calls as well.

Turn

6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB checks, CO checks, I bet, BB calls, CO calls.

River

2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB bets, CO raises.

Yes, the BB will bet A4 and anything that resembles a high hand probably 100% of the time, and the CO will probably raise with A4 a large % of the time, the problem as I see it is not calling two bets, but the prospect of action behind me. Worst case scenario obviously is one having A4 and the other having the nut flush, where in that spot if I call two cold I'll usually be faced with calling at least one more bet and need to call one more if I call two cold in the first place imo.

So who elects to call the river, and does anyone play the flop differently and why? In hindsight maybe a three bet on the flop gets the hand heads-up, but also think about the times I can get an extra bet from either one or both players on the turn, or an extra bet from one and knock out the other, in addition to the times I can take a free showdown. Obviously this didn't happen, but it needs to be considered when considering the equity in each play. I think it's close.

-Tex

edit: if ever there was action that made someones hand seem faceup, this is it. mine and theirs.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Another wtf spot on the river

I had almost this hand myself.

A233

On the flop, 2 callers and I attacked, a shorty called (with A2), the initial bettor and caller just called again.

Turn: 2

Yeh! The bettor, bet again, caller called, and I raised for value.

River: 3 WTF!!!

Now the bettor checked, the caller now bet, and I had set 3's + a may be live Ace, or a bust.

I chose to raise, to avoid losing the Lo side accidentally, and the pot was split between the caller for Hi, and shorty and me for Lo.

So ... you not going to call me?
Old 10-11-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So ... you not going to call me?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's those damned british area codes. I can't figure it out. Besides, we just met [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 10-11-2007, 02:25 PM

What a horrible river card. With you in the sandwich and potential raises out there behind this is a very, very reluctant fold here I think.. although the pot is so large that it just seems silly not to call. But BB's bet out on the river after checking the whole way indicates strongly that his diamond flush beats your bottom set, so if you're calling you're gambling that CO doesn't have A4.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:44 PM

Hi Tex - These opponents are probably putting you on ace-deuce, so that they're naturally making it as tough on you as they can when the river is a deuce.

But meanwhile you have a set and second nut low.

My first impulse is to raise, But maybe a call is better.

Is there a possibility BB (or maybe even CO) will back down if you make it three bets? The trouble with three betting is probably the betting will get capped if you do, and then your odds are not as good. Maybe if you just call, that will be the end of it.

You could either win the whole pot, lose the whole pot, or split.

If the betting stops here, you're getting about seven to one for the call. If the betting gets capped you'll be getting about four and a half to one for the call. Either way, you're good enough to not want to fold.

You'd like to knock out another second nut low, but the way the betting has gone, I don't think there's much of a chance.

If you were the one with an opportunity to raise and make it two bets to one of them, that would be one thing. But as it is, this is another.

Sometimes you have to give your opponents their due. BB played well by betting here, as did CO by making it two bets and thus at least slightly more difficult for you.

Call.

Buzz
Old 10-11-2007, 06:14 PM

The river is so close and I don't think I'm good enough to have a good answer for you.

However I think the flop is a 3 bet because of your discription of the players. If BB folds you get to play a hand with the most profitable player in the game with dead money in the pot and if he stays you got more money in the pot when you have >33% equity.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:53 AM

Given your hand, what could the CO have that is worth a check-raise on the flop, just a check-call on the turn, then a raise on the river? Something like A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3x could make sense. Also, what does the BB have to justify hanging around in this hand given your preflop raise? Just A4 wouldn't seem to make much sense. He could have an overpair, a set, and/or a hand with 2 diamonds/2 spades. Maybe he has a non-nut flush and doesn't want re-raise the CO. How about calling 2-bets on the river then folding if it goes 3-bet/4-bet behind you, or is that too ugly to even consider?