Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 09:23 PM

Default Re: Official WGA Writers Strike thread.

[ QUOTE ]
Written by Dale Alexander, a key grip on NBC's "The Office":
[ QUOTE ]

102 people fired from The Office
Our show was shut down and we were all laid off this week. I've been watching the news since the WGA strike was announced and I have yet to see any coverage dedicated to the effect that this strike will have on the below the line employees.

I respect the WGA's position. They probably do deserve a larger percentage of profit participation, but a lengthy strike will affect more than just the writers and studios. On my show we had 14 writers. There were also 2 cameramen, 2 camera assistants, 4 hair stylists, 4 makeup artists, 7 wardrobe people, 4 grips, 4 electricians, 2 craft service, 4 props people, 6 construction, 1 medic, 3 art department, 5 set dressers, 3 sound men, 3 stand-ins, 2 set PAs, 4 assistant directors, 1 DGA trainee, 1 unit manager, 6 production office personnel, 3 casting people, 4 writers assistants, 1 script supervisor, 2 editors, 2 editors assistants, 3 post production personnel, 1 facilities manager, 8 drivers, 2 location managers, 3 accountants, 4 caterers and a producer who's not a writer. All 102 of us are now out of work.

I have been in the motion picture business for 33 years and have survived three major strikes. None of which have been by any of the below the line unions. During the 1988 WGA strike many of my friends lost their homes, cars and even spouses. Many actors are publicly backing the writers, some have even said that they would find a way to help pay bills for the striking writers. When the networks run out of new shows and they air repeats the writers will be paid residuals. The lowest paid writer in television makes roughly twice the salary than the below the line crewmember makes. Everyone should be paid their fair share, but does it have to be at the expense of the other 90% of the crewmembers. Nobody ever recoups from a strike, lost wages are just that, lost.

"We all know that the strike will be resolved. Eventually both sides will return to the bargaining table and make a deal. The only uncertainty is how many of our houses, livelihoods, college educations and retirement funds will pay for it."

--Maria Elena Fernandez

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just want to bump this particular quote because, all in all, the strike is asinine as, frankly, residuals are not an issue grave enough to cause a work stoppage. Pension issues, health care and rest period - those are worth striking over.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:25 PM

Residuals are more important.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Residuals are more important.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me pass that ^^^^ on to everyone who has called/emailed me begging me to take them and/or their crews onto my show as they have bills to pay NOW.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:40 PM

I do think that it is a good point that of everyone, the behind the scenes assistants and set people are getting most screwed by this.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:46 PM

Haven't people seen this coming for a really long time?
Old 11-16-2007, 09:31 AM

how can u say pension is worth striking over but not residuals?

residuals can be worth SIGNIFICANTLY more than pension...
Old 11-16-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do think that it is a good point that of everyone, the behind the scenes assistants and set people are getting most screwed by this.

[/ QUOTE ]

That the nature of the beast. Don't work out here if you can't handle it.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:50 PM

when corporations merge, many times some workers get screwed by it in the 'downsizing'

when there is a drought in Atlanta right now, many landscapers and other employees get screwed by it

etc etc
Old 11-16-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That the nature of the beast. Don't work out here if you can't handle it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I don't think its reason to hold off on a strike, still sucks.

Also,

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzRHlpEmr0w

[/ QUOTE ]

This clip, the same one quoted above, is hilarious.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:06 PM

The parties have agreed to meet after the holiday weekend, though its a step in the right direction it might not mean all that much,
[ QUOTE ]
When they meet the Monday after Thanksgiving, the two sides may be able to build on progress that was made in the talks that ended Nov. 4, the first day of serious negotiations. Writers had agreed to drop their demand for doubling DVD pay, while studios had for the first time offered a proposal for paying writers for the streaming of shows online, though they sharply disagreed on terms.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, the strike is starting to hit the wallet of a lot of actors as well:
[ QUOTE ]
At least one studio, Universal Media Studios, has already informed regular cast members on several of its series, including "The Office", that it's suspending their contracts. Other studios are likely to follow suit in the next few days, the showbiz trade papers report.

The media companies are within their rights to cut off deals with actors, citing a "force majeure" provision in the Screen Actors Guild contract [The WGA stike falls qualifies]. Under force majeure, a party can free itself from the obligations of a contract if something outside either side's control disrupts business.

Triggering the force majeure clause gives the studios three options under contracts with SAG and the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists, the other actors' union. The media companies can either put regulars on hold, continuing to pay their full salaries; suspend them for up to five weeks at half-pay; or terminate them.

Universal has chosen the suspension option, meaning the likes of Michelle Ryan, Steve Carell and Alec Baldwin will receive half their salaries for the next five weeks. At the end of that time, both the studio and the actors have the option to end their deals or continue at their regular pay.

If other studios choose to terminate their deals with actors, the performers would be free to pursue other projects. The actors' jobs are guaranteed for whenever production resumes, but any new work that comes along during the downtime would be the top priority.

[/ QUOTE ]