Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Men and Women in the Workplace

[ QUOTE ]
Are women and guys like this in most work environments? Are women maybe less productive because of it?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. This has nothing to do with gender. Some people are simply more talkative than others. I've worked with both men and women who are like OP's new co-worker. I've also worked with both men and women who don't talk at all.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:11 AM

Ugggh!!!!!! The worst is when you really need to get crap done, but that one person (usually a woman) will never fail to come over and start a hour long conversation about what they did that weekend. Which usually ends up one sided anyways...

You know that person who comes up to you and asks "Hey, how was your weekend, did you do anything good??" Then when you get about 4 words into it, they jump in and take over the whole conversation with, "OMG! I did this and that and blah bla blah"...... Ugghh, WHY THE EFF DID YOU ASK ME ABOUT MY WEEKEND IN THE FIRST PLACE, NUMBNUTS?!!?!!?

She was the attention whore of the office... and she was the only one who didn't know it.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:16 AM

Some women at my old office had the opposite problem. Because they were attractive, good at listening, and too polite to kick anyone out of their office, they became a magnet for visitors. They would often complain that the stream of visitors was affecting their productivity, and they didn't know how to kick them out.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Some women at my old office had the opposite problem. Because they were attractive, good at listening, and too polite to kick anyone out of their office, they became a magnet for visitors. They would often complain that the stream of visitors was affecting their productivity, and they didn't know how to kick them out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find this particularly poignant as I am one of the only women at my workplace (movie set), I am in a position of authority, and I am still (relatively) young. I end up being :
1) shrink to beleaguered crew members - hearing about their work place woes, their spousal woes/questions, their family/children concerns etc etc
2) mentor to female members of my crew, advising them how to deal with men at work who either love em or want to eff em (often both) (that's always interesting), how I got to where I am etc etc
3) disciplinarian/ref when the "boys" don't "play" nicely amongst themselves or want to strategize about their own departmental issues (personnel, budget)

As some may know, I love my work, and consider the female aspect of therapist/ref/hero to be part of the role I am cast in. However, I can see where, if one is in a large organization, perhaps in a middle management position, where being the Sounding Board would be a drain, and not a plus. For me, though, it is one of my fav aspects of the job, to hear ppl's needs. That and I give good advice. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2007, 02:29 AM

Okay here is a female perspective. I am a freaking good employee, a workaholic some people say. I dont talk to much at work if anything the thing that slows down my work it the men trying to pickup on me and the one that pisses me off the most is the married men that get off on picking up on me. Saying all women are like this is like saying all men are [censored]. Mostly true but there are many exceptions also.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:39 AM

This is one of the threads that makes me wish people would just dig up old threads and give them new life instead of starting up new worthless threads.

I guess I'm a one-woman guy.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay here is a female perspective. I am a freaking good employee, a workaholic some people say. I dont talk to much at work if anything the thing that slows down my work it the men trying to pickup on me and the one that pisses me off the most is the married men that get off on picking up on me.

[/ QUOTE ]

The married men need to chill out. Some of the married men get pretty forward and gawk and try to get touchy. There's this one guy where I work who is so flirty and and physical that it really makes me wonder about him. If he would back off about 3 feet it would be better.