Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 04:50 PM

Default Re: SEC football > all other football

[ QUOTE ]
But you guys were talking about EMOTION and INTENSE HATRED and guess what, MSU and PSU both hate Michigan with a passion. Alabama/Auburn rivalry is by no means "easily" the most heated. Do you guys seriously not see how ridiculously homertastic you are? I'm not debating that there are great rivalries in the south, but all you tools act like that is all there is. There's no possible way to measure any of this crap other than your opinions. Just because the media force-fed us the SEC this year doesn't make their superiority beyond questioning.

I'm not saying the Big 10 is better on the field right now. I'm saying both have looked pretty average this year. If the SEC turns out to be the best come bowl time, I'll readily say it. Then I fully expect a bunch of crap from all of you who will act like you knew it all along when you don't know anything for sure based on any facts.

And oh yeah, you nailed it Danny, PSU can't get loud without the entire crowd putting on the same colored shirt. Shut up. If Georgia did the same thing for a game you'd be going off on how much spirit everyone has.

FWIW, here's a bit from MGoBlog about the SEC this year:

[ QUOTE ]
The events of the past few weeks have caused me to radically revalue the SEC. To wit: it sucks. (For the record, the Big Ten also sucks. The Pac-10 is where it's at this year.) When Mississippi State takes down two supposed contenders, your conference is not good. What real evidence do we have of the SEC dominance that braindead sportswriters and southern yokels proclaim every fall? A brief SEC OOC dossier:

GOOD

LSU crushes VT. Georgia handles Oklahoma State who, yes, lost to Troy but is rounding into a decent Big 12 team. Auburn beats another decent Big 12 team, Kansas State.

LOOKED GOOD BUT UH...

Kentucky beats Louisville. Congratulations. Get in line behind Syracuse.

BAD

Auburn loses to USF. Tennessee is crushed by Cal. Mississippi State, competitive in conference, is obliterated by WVU. South Carolina struggles with awful UNC team. 'Bama loses to thoroughly mediocre FSU.

IRRELEVANT

Ole Miss loses to Mizzou, but they've also lost to every SEC team they've played so no points off.

That is the entire listing of SEC games against BCS competition and it's mostly bad. Mississippi State sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks sucks, sucks and they've beaten Auburn and Kentucky. 3-2 in the SEC Tennessee was crushed by 2-3 in the Pac-10 Cal. 4-1 in the SEC 'Bama lost to 2-3 in the ACC Florida State. So the SEC can suck it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The SEC could be the best conference in college football ever this year and it would still be overrated the way people down here talk about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

baseball's not like football. you can't score when you are on defense
Old 10-30-2007, 05:21 PM

I've skimmed through this, so I'm trying not to repeat anything that was said.

Anyone who thinks the PAC-10 is better than the SEC overall is out of their mind. We've had 7 teams in the top 25 at one point this year, 4 of those in the top 10 at one point, and 2 of those in the top 5 at one point. Don't get me wrong; I enjoy PAC-10 football. Oregon is one of my favorite teams to watch by far. Dennis Dixon is an animal imo. But top to bottom, the SEC is deeper in strong teams. 11 of 12 teams in the SEC have winning records overall compared to the PAC-10's 6 of 10.

You may think the SEC doesn't play a tough non conference schedule, but like Noze Candy said, it's because every week is a tough game in the SEC. ESPN College Gameday could literally go to an SEC school almost every week for a big game.

And LOL@ LSU haters. Wasn't Virginia Tech's D supposed to be one of the top ones in the nation when we played them at the beginning of the season? How many points did we put up again? 48? If I remember correctly, our backup QB was in the game IN THE 3RD QUARTER. Cmon, be real with yourselves.

If you're gonna base your argument that the Pac-10 is better than the SEC over the Cal/Tennessee game, then that's just dumb. How about you send someone here to Baton Rouge to play LSU? Then have the play Kentucky the next weekend? After that, how about we send them to Florida? Don't ask for a bye week in between those please. Let's see if they can win all 3. I'd be surprised to see anyone in that conference go 2-1 in those 3 straight games. I'd love to see any Pac-10 team go through the 3 straight games that LSU had to go through of Florida, Kentucky, and Auburn and see how you fair.

SEC>Pac-10

/end thread
Old 10-30-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You may think the SEC doesn't play a tough non conference schedule, but like Noze Candy said, it's because every week is a tough game in the SEC. ESPN College Gameday could literally go to an SEC school almost every week for a big game.

[/ QUOTE ]
You've been skimming wrong, I've pretty much said the exact opposite. The only reason this SEC schedule is so tough right now is because the media has said it is from the beginning of the year. There is very little objective material to prove the SEC is indeed sooooo good right now.

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone who thinks the PAC-10 is better than the SEC overall is out of their mind. We've had 7 teams in the top 25 at one point this year, 4 of those in the top 10 at one point, and 2 of those in the top 5 at one point. Don't get me wrong; I enjoy PAC-10 football. Oregon is one of my favorite teams to watch by far. Dennis Dixon is an animal imo. But top to bottom, the SEC is deeper in strong teams. 11 of 12 teams in the SEC have winning records overall compared to the PAC-10's 6 of 10.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi, using a notoriously bad ranking system as an argument for conference strength is only as good as that system: bad. And could the whole winning records thing be due to crappy non-conference scheduling? Or because everyone in the Pac 10 beats up on each other? Or that does excuse only fly in the SEC?

[ QUOTE ]

And LOL@ LSU haters. Wasn't Virginia Tech's D supposed to be one of the top ones in the nation when we played them at the beginning of the season? How many points did we put up again? 48? If I remember correctly, our backup QB was in the game IN THE 3RD QUARTER. Cmon, be real with yourselves.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wasn't Michigan SUPPOSED TO BE the 5th best team in the country? VA Tech is not good with Glennon at QB, his ineptitude hung the D out the dry against an already good offense. That was a great win though, don't get me wrong. Also, LSU's backup QB is arguably better than the starter, so don't act like they're just putting him in out of mercy. Nobody is really hating on LSU that much; they're good.

[ QUOTE ]

If you're gonna base your argument that the Pac-10 is better than the SEC over the Cal/Tennessee game, then that's just dumb. How about you send someone here to Baton Rouge to play LSU? Then have the play Kentucky the next weekend? After that, how about we send them to Florida? Don't ask for a bye week in between those please. Let's see if they can win all 3. I'd be surprised to see anyone in that conference go 2-1 in those 3 straight games. I'd love to see any Pac-10 team go through the 3 straight games that LSU had to go through of Florida, Kentucky, and Auburn and see how you fair.

[/ QUOTE ] The point is that Tennessee got throttled by a team who is faring worse in-conference than they are. Asking someone to come to Baton Rouge to prove how good your conference is is stupid, and is basically saying "Let's put you in the harshest possible environment we have to offer and laugh at you if you fail." Go to Oregon in late November this year and see what happens. LSU has proven to be good. Florida, Kentucky, and Auburn have proven to be inconsistent and highly mediocre at times. Oregon would thoroughly toast every single one of those defenses and I seriously think they would beat LSU on a neutral field. If LSU couldn't stop Kentucky or Florida, they are not stopping Oregon.

[ QUOTE ]
/end thread

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, not really.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:23 PM

I want to bet some people next year when UGA plays ASU. I cannot fathom that people think so highly of ASU.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:30 PM

I thought you were sticking up for the SEC Noze Candy. I was obv wrong. I didn't say LSU was putting Perriloux out there in mercy. They were putting him in before LSU started running this 2 QB system that they've been doing recently.

You honestly think that the SEC is tough because of the media? That's a joke dude. The SEC is tough because...um, it's tough. Everyone is just fast and good. They're not good because the media said they are. School's recruit well and put together good teams, not the media.

How is the AP poll so horrible? People vote. I wasn't talking about the BCS, which isn't as bad as everyone thinks imo.

And if you think that asking someone to come to Baton Rouge to prove something is dumb, then why is it ok to say that Tennessee got throttled at Cal? If the argument doesn't work one way, it can't work the other.

I really find it unreal that you think Oregon could beat LSU on a neutral field. Don't get me wrong, I really like Oregon. I enjoy watching them play. But that's absurd. I don't even feel like I have to argue this point. Just let me know when you find Oregon's defense.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They were putting him in before LSU started running this 2 QB system that they've been doing recently.

[/ QUOTE ]
It was the second game of the season, and they've run it since then, so I don't really get what you're trying to say here.

[ QUOTE ]

You honestly think that the SEC is tough because of the media? That's a joke dude. The SEC is tough because...um, it's tough. Everyone is just fast and good. They're not good because the media said they are. School's recruit well and put together good teams, not the media.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's tough because it's tough? Are you [censored] kidding me? Take a course in logic sometime. Everyone is just fast and good? No. Not everyone in the SEC is good. Or consistent.

[ QUOTE ]

And if you think that asking someone to come to Baton Rouge to prove something is dumb, then why is it ok to say that Tennessee got throttled at Cal? If the argument doesn't work one way, it can't work the other.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because going to Cal isn't exactly the most daunting environment. They have people in trees protesting expansion of the stadium. Comparing this, Tennessee going to a decent Cal with lackluster support, to going into Death Valley against LSU this year is a pretty ridiculous comparison. All that aside, your argument doesn't even come close to making sense since one event actually happened and the other is just a hypothetical that you assume would turn out in a certain way. Claiming the SEC is better because an SEC team lost at a Pac 10 stadium but the Pac 10 team would likely lose to an entirely different SEC team in an entirely different situation is absurd.

[ QUOTE ]

I really find it unreal that you think Oregon could beat LSU on a neutral field. Don't get me wrong, I really like Oregon. I enjoy watching them play. But that's absurd. I don't even feel like I have to argue this point. Just let me know when you find Oregon's defense.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? Well you do have to argue this point because it's not nearly as absurd to people coming from outside SEC territory. You want me to find Oregon's D? Find LSU's while you're at it. They gave up yards in chunks to teams with offenses worse and more straightforward than Oregon's. I'm not saying it'd be a blowout or anything, but acting like they don't even have a chance is stupid. I just don't think Flynn could keep up with Oregon's production in a neutral environment.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:10 AM

dear fellow sports fans,

look, you guys act like it's our fault that because we've repeatedly beat down the likes of michigan, penn state, michigan state, wisconsin, et al, that it's somehow our fault that elite players no longer wish to attend those universities. i understand where they're coming from, i too would wish to avoid going to michigan for various reasons to begin with - the odor, the unpleasantly bouyant female student population, it's proximity to detroit - but when you add in the fact that you're basically competing with wisconsin for the privilege to go to the citrus bowl, well, that makes it downright repulsive. i certainly sympathize with fans of SEC schools in that your conference is, top to bottom, outstanding. i am not denying that.

we at ohio state do what we can. we schedule tough out of conference opponents. we support our fellow in state collegiate football programs by giving them a financially beneficial game every few years or so. and we play the conference slate that we've been handed.

if you guys have other recommendations for what we can do to further enhance our reputation in your sec smitten eyes and hearts, let us know.

in the meantime, i recommend you stop losing to vandy and missisippi state, ok? we don't lose to indiana.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:33 PM

I have nothing against OSU. You guys do what you can. And Mississippi State isn't a bad team. They're pretty much a win away from having a real good shot at going to a bowl game.

Now back to our heated debate...

I didn't say Oregon would not have a chance against LSU. I'm just saying that after watching every LSU game and most Oregon games this year, I feel that LSU has an advantage on offense and on defense. Yes, Oregon has lots of weapons, but LSU has just as much. I'd love to see Oregon give up less than 30 points to the likes of Florida, Kentucky, and Auburn IN CONSECUTIVE WEEKS.

You said me saying that the SEC is tough because it's tough was dumb. How is saying that it's tough just because the media says it's tough any smarter? Honestly, do you think they would just say it if it wasn't? They know football. The SEC isn't tough because they say it. It's tough because almost every team is quality.

Cal lost at Tennessee last year. So I am not claiming false information in any way whatsoever.

What I meant about Perriloux coming into the game in the 3rd quarter was that was before anyone knew LSU would end up running a 2 QB system. At that point, he was just the backup who everyone knew was talented, but everyone didn't expect Perriloux to take as many snaps this year as he has.

Good debate going.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:59 PM

you guys are all just upset cause you cant seriously prove that your conference can even touch the SEC....

SEC > greater than all
Old 10-31-2007, 02:59 PM

To: anyone who is dumb enough to use the one game SEC vs. Pac10 this year.

Tennessee also beat down Cal last year. Homefield advantage means a lot. You can't extrapolate off of one game this season.

Sincerely,

Logic.

To: OSU.

If you'd play some ranked teams, we'd be interested. Until you do, keep quiet and be thankful for the gift that is your #1 ranking. I will concede that many years you have scheduled outstanding non-conference opponents. However, this is not one of those years. Youngstown State, Akron, Washington, and Kent State. Ouch. You have one team on your schedule that is currently ranked in the AP poll. Michigan, who was beaten by you know who. Thus, your #1 ranking is based on the lack of a loss and reputation.

In fact, of the 5 undefeated teams, only one team (BC) has played ANYONE currently ranked in the AP poll (VT and Wake). You can see how this frustrates the many 1 or 2 loss SEC schools who bludgeon each other constantly.

In all likelihood OSU, you have a fine college football team. You'd have a great shot at winning the SEC, in fact. That's the highest compliment i can give you guys. But you wouldn't go undefeated. Too many tough games week after week after week.

Sincerely,

the SEC