Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-29-2007, 08:15 PM

Default Re: Football Coaches: The Hiring Process

[ QUOTE ]
I think the problem in the NFL is that there really aren't a whole lot of black assistants to hire as head coaches right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which speaks to the overall problem that racist practices aren't restricted to just the highest profile jobs.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:24 PM

mike singletary is gonna be one busy guy.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the problem in the NFL is that there really aren't a whole lot of black assistants to hire as head coaches right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which speaks to the overall problem that racist practices aren't restricted to just the highest profile jobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I agree - when you look at the black guys who do make it to assistant positions, they seem to get hired (Romeo, Lovie, and Tomlin just recently). So it's getting their foot into the door and actually getting the chance to prove themselves as assistants.

Or perhaps only the best black talent gets hired to be assistants? Who knows what's going on.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:31 PM

College football operates at a cuthroat level of competition. I have an extremely hard time believing that a large number of programs are passing over good black coaches for white ones instead just because of the color of their skin. If this really is happening, then there are huge advantages available to schools that are willing to stop being racist: they get better coaches than the schools that are racist. It's very simple.

Maybe there is widespead racism from the top to bottom that pushes blacks away from the very beginning of the head coach career path, I don't know. But if that is different than the BCA criticizing A&M for not having an blacks on their candidate list, and they would have to provide reasoning and evidence to support saying that. Otherwise I don't really see what can be done about schools who actively shoot themselves in the foot by passing up +EV options just because of race.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I am not racist

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the clarification.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, so true...

"Its like when people will begin a racist statement with 'Now I'm not racist, but....'"

link
Old 11-29-2007, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why is there no White Coaches Association

[/ QUOTE ]

How old are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

old enough to know this is [censored] and that it won't be long before Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are heading up search committes for head coaches

[/ QUOTE ]
You know, I can't help get mad when I think about how badly white males have it in this country.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I agree - when you look at the black guys who do make it to assistant positions, they seem to get hired (Romeo, Lovie, and Tomlin just recently). So it's getting their foot into the door and actually getting the chance to prove themselves as assistants.

Or perhaps only the best black talent gets hired to be assistants? Who knows what's going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's that a lot of assistants are lifers and that until 10-15 years ago there really was a color barrier. It takes time to even things out statistically. There aren't many minorities in Dick Lebeau's age bracket who are coordinators in the NFL but my guess is that if you look at under 40 assistants things are starting to resemble the distribution of people who go into coaching. Rex Ryan has plenty of competition from the Mike Tomlins of the world. The Rooney rule may be a part of that, or it may just be a natural righting of things as money has poured in and performance has become such a bug business. It's not like the demographic shift could happen over night. It takes at least a generation, even with help.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:00 PM

This prob won't come across the right way but oh well.

IMO When you force people to do things in favor of minorities it only helps breed racism. People, whether they're white, black, brown, green or purple don't like being told what to do. When people stop focusing on the color of someone's skin and start focusing on their abilities then maybe there will be an end to racism.

If I was the person in charge of hiring a coach(college or NFL) I should have the right to interview whoever I wanted. I shouldn't be forced to interview someone b/c of the color of their skin but b/c of their ability to do the job.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I was the person in charge of hiring a coach(college or NFL) I should have the right to interview whoever I wanted.

[/ QUOTE ]

NFL teams do have the right to interview whoever they want. To my knowledge there is no limit to the number of interview candidates they can talk to.

[ QUOTE ]
I shouldn't be forced to interview someone b/c of the color of their skin but b/c of their ability to do the job.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is sad that that is what is takes to rectify past injustices but the Rooney rule does seem to be having a positive impact.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This prob won't come across the right way but oh well.

IMO When you force people to do things in favor of minorities it only helps breed racism. People, whether they're white, black, brown, green or purple don't like being told what to do. When people stop focusing on the color of someone's skin and start focusing on their abilities then maybe there will be an end to racism.

If I was the person in charge of hiring a coach(college or NFL) I should have the right to interview whoever I wanted. I shouldn't be forced to interview someone b/c of the color of their skin but b/c of their ability to do the job.

[/ QUOTE ]

In an ideal world I agree. The problem is I think people notice race and act upon it (subconsciously or not), and I think they have always done so and probably will. I don't think just pretending it isn't a factor will make it go away; in fact, it leads us to just pretend it isn't a problem, even though it is.

Now, as to whether a particular remedy is going to make things better, that is certainly a real concern. If you put quotas in place, you're setting up a real crappy system. At least the interviewing rule, as was mentioned earlier, doesn't force any actual hiring but does force teams to give people who have been ignored before a chance to get a foot in the door, which then gives them some connections. It's limited, the burden isn't that big, and it (seemingly) helps to overcome some of the inertia.