Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

View Poll Results: Would OOT enjoy an "ask me" thread about lesbians?
yes 9 9.89%
YES 82 90.11%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2007, 01:47 AM

Default Re: who does tOSU play in the title game?

[ QUOTE ]
Hawaii, Kansas, and tOSU are the three you have to choose from. How can you pick a two loss team over a one loss team or an undefeated team?

[/ QUOTE ]

The same way that people were going to take one loss teams over an undefeated team.

KU is better than Washington, but worse than every 2-loss team being discussed, and shouldn't even go to a BCS game let alone the title game.

You people think that picking the "championship" game will be difficult.

Here's a likely scenario.

Two teams are chosen for the NC game with one a favorite. The underdog will win of course because that's just the way thinks work this year.

Then, there will be 2-3 other teams that could lay claim to the National Championship especially if they play well in their non-NC game.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have an opinion on Va. Tech vs. LSU I think it's vvv close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whaaaaat? LSU absolutely slaughtered them. The ACC was terrible this year. LSU and it's not close.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So had Va Tech lost to a mediocre team by 40, it would almost be better for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

And that's why the H2H argument is flawed. Losing to a mediocre team should never be > losing to a really good team. Other things being equal you'd put LSU above Va. Tech because of that game, but other things aren't equal. LSU lost at home to a crap team with everything on the line, and Va. Tech killed all the bad teams they played.

That being said I'd probably still put LSU slightly ahead of Va. Tech but I definitely think Va. Tech > Georgia, USC and Oklahoma.

[/ QUOTE ]

if it was somewhat close game sure

but a 41 point beating? come on, LSU>>>>>Va Tech

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the reason this fails. If we were comparing two roughly equivalent teams, and one of those teams happened to beat the other one by 41 points, then its a no-brainer that they should get to go. But that isnt what we are doing. We are comparing Team A that managed to beat Team B by 41 and STILL isnt better than them, and Team B which managed to lose by 41 to Team A and STILL isnt worse than them. So the 41 point loss is already taken into consideration. If we ignored that loss, VaTech would be WAY ahead of LSU. It is that loss that makes them roughly equal.

So you have to find a new criterion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, I actually kind of like this argument. I still think LSU > Va Tech but this does cast some doubt on the strength of the "just look at the h2h matchup". Well played sir.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont like EITHER of those teams for the NC actually (although I personally enjoy both of them and like to watch them play and wouldnt mind them making it) I think it should be USC but I think my argument is still a valid objection to the H2H problem.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If VT doesn't blow a 13 point lead with 4 minutes to go, they are in the championship game with no questions.

[/ QUOTE ]
You could say this about a dozen different teams.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hawaii, Kansas, and tOSU are the three you have to choose from. How can you pick a two loss team over a one loss team or an undefeated team?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because its LSU and USC ldo. They simply deserve to be in the NC game, even though neither has performed.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who has 2 losses?
Old 12-02-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because if my Boilers played Lafayette High School every week and went undefeated, they'd still be way worse than a 3-loss Florida team that played a brutal schedule. You're basically encouraging every team to play an easy schedule, resulting in a completely unentertaining CFB season where 38 teams go undefeated.

My God, some of you people are dense. SOS is super important.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:52 AM

I will have a post up on my blog by tomorrow morning with a mathematical way at looking who should be in the title game

Here is what I've posted before
I slacked off when I went out of town for an extended period
Old 12-02-2007, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no way you can put Kansas in after they get beat badly by Mizzou and after tonight.