Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 11:37 AM

Default 50NL - Two hand line check - the call followed by aggression

I know it's supposed to be one hand per post, but I wanted to show two examples of what I am trying to reason out. I smooth call then play an aggressive line in both these hands. I am feeling like this is the nuts every time. I should expect no calls. Agree?

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP ($47.80)
CO ($53.25)
Button ($49.40)
SB ($20)
Hero ($43.45)
UTG ($58.80)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.75</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $2.

Flop: ($5.75) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4.5</font>, Button calls $4.50.

Turn: ($14.75) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $5.5</font>, Hero calls $5.50.

River: ($25.75) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20.95</font>, Button folds.

Final Pot: $46.70

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP ($65.65)
Hero ($52.50)
Button ($60)
SB ($29.25)
BB ($38.45)
UTG ($35.85)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, Button calls $2, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($4.75) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $3.5</font>, Hero calls $3.50.

Turn: ($11.75) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $35.75</font>, Button folds.

Final Pot: $55.50

(ps - save the fold PF please, these are profitable raises given the situations)
Old 06-06-2007, 12:03 PM

Default Re: 50NL - Two hand line check - the call followed by aggression

your pre-flop play is very bad IMO (especially the 1st). 56s in BB is an easy fold. You're getting yourself into a huge mess here. As played, raise villain's turn bet to $16, lead river for 3/4 pot.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:24 PM

The converter screwed up hand 1 (or I did). I was SB. Anyway, your suggestion is effectively check-raising turn. That's too agressive IMO. Maybe this is a bad example, but I am looking for reason take my line or to not take my line (post flop).
Old 06-06-2007, 12:36 PM

bet turn in hand one as villain can be in a flush draw

hand two play it as fast as you can from the start to built a big pot and hope villain have an ace
Old 06-06-2007, 12:47 PM

I don't like the pre flop raise in hand one or two - you've got a great little hand OOP that could do with seeing a flop multiway. In position these hands are worth raising but not from SB and BB.

In hand one I would definitely lead, if I pre flop raised or not. I also lead turn for $8 or so, leaving you a smaller river bet that is more likely to get call. If you are going to check the turn at least raise it up a little (dare I say min-raise), so your river bet is small enough to get called.

In hand two, I like a lead, 1/2 pot turn, 1/2 pot river. The way you played it, you might as well have shown him your cards. That is not to say that he knows you have a three - you just told him that Ax is miles behind.

I would agree with previous poster than you need to work on your post flop play - the idea with hands like the ones shown is get value not get a fold.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The converter screwed up hand 1 (or I did). I was SB. Anyway, your suggestion is effectively check-raising turn. That's too agressive IMO. Maybe this is a bad example, but I am looking for reason take my line or to not take my line (post flop).

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why you wouldn't raise the turn? He could be betting his FD or his TPWK. You have the nuts and want a big pot. Raise the turn to an amount that gets his stack in on the river. By calling, you're effectively allowed him to draw to his flush for free or get away if a scare card comes, in this case a diamond if he doesn't have a flush.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I would agree with previous poster than you need to work on your post flop play - the idea with hands like the ones shown is get value not get a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

For sure! I suck post flop. But my goal is to not get a fold, which is why I am afraid the call-&gt;agg line that I took here sucks. I am leaving a lot of chips on the table with this line.

For the record, I am not afraid to open-raise any street. I just don't like check-raise in general.