Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2006, 02:48 PM

Default Playing aces with callers on the turn

.50/1 NL Game at party, 6 handed, first hand at the table with max buy in, all stacks at the table ae similar

You have A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the button

2 limpers, you raise to $4.50, BB and both limpers call

Pot 18.50

Flop K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

3 checks, you bet $14, BB calls, one limper calls

about $60 in the pot, about $80 in all three players stacks

Turn 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Two checks to you, what is your bet?
Old 03-12-2006, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Playing aces with callers on the turn

Id push. also, Id bet $6 pf, and the pot on the flop. Although I dont play these limits.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:16 PM

25-30 and call an all in
Old 03-12-2006, 03:17 PM

3/4 pot or pot it...Your not behind to much and as long as a face doesn't drop on the river you've probably got the pot. This would be much easier with reads....
Old 03-12-2006, 03:19 PM

a bet that big sticks you to the pot and you give yourself no chance to get away from it if you feel you are beat. there is no need to pot it here with a hand as weak as 1 pair. 1/3 to 1/2 pot max

a PSB will also drive out many other weaker hands you want in
Old 03-12-2006, 03:21 PM

I'd raise to $6 pre-flop, you have to discourage multiple callers. I suppose I can see both players having K's here (KQ/KT), but QT is the only really obvious draw here, so two people smooth calling like that make me pretty nervous. With mutiple callers like this, I would check behind and evaluate on the river, with the aim of checking down to showdown. You have position and are faced with a lot of variables on a potentially best yet weak hand.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have position and are faced with a lot of variables on a probably best yet weak hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is why we bet because we have position and still most likely have the best hand as we will not let someone catch up for free. checking here is the worst option
Old 03-12-2006, 03:33 PM

Possibly, but betting even 1/2 pot sized bet here gives away that we aren't comfortable with our hand, while on a pot this big, a villian can hardly be faulted for pushing a KK hand they now feel is good. Additionally, on a pot this big, even though QT is getting bad odds, their implied odds are great, so I doubt even 1/2 pot would chase out the draw. Our choices here are either $40+ or check behind. HU's this is an easy value bet, against two villians flat calling a fairly drawless board... I'm looking for a cheap showdown.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Possibly, but betting even 1/2 pot sized bet here gives away that we aren't comfortable with our hand, while on a pot this big, a villian can hardly be faulted for pushing a KK hand they now feel is good

[/ QUOTE ]

and we can easily call or get away. im not giving a free card here where i am fairly sure i have the best hand. thats just horrible. as you say there are possible draws and a larger bet pot sticks us. bet 40 get 1 caller and rivers a 9 are we folding 40 into 180 with aces?? if half pot isnt chasing out a draw 2/3 may not either as we are not deep stacked compared to the pot. for example, (not to say they were thinking this way as many SSNL players dont understand the concept of implied odds) if he is figuring his implied odds, knows hes 4.5 to 1 on the turn to hit he has to call 40 into 100 or 2.5 to 1 but still with hero leaving 40 behind i think he still calls his last 40 if i get there esp with the ace as he will have the 2nd nuts so really i can consider my self as calling 40 into 140 on the turn or 3.5 to 1 which some people may lay the odds here knowing they will be paid if they hit as we have no chance to get off the hand now.

sorry this was kinda a long rant but i feel checking is just awful in this spot and betting too much leaves us no option of folding
Old 03-12-2006, 03:53 PM

My problem with betting here is that we either bet enough to commit us to the pot (a line I take often enough, but not one I am sure is correct) or we start controling the pot size.

If the board was more draw heavy, I would be much more inclined to bet again, but this is a 9-player table and two people just check called strong bets. Since QT is really the only draw, and one I would say is fairly unlikely, although easily possible, betting to charge hands on the come doesn't make much sense. It only bloats the pot and makes stacking on the river just that much more likely.