Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 02:28 AM

Default STT bankroll management

Hopefully this isnt too offtopic for this forum.
im interested on peoples ideas about bankroll management for STT's, i think STT BR management is overlooked and people take them to lightly. im here to ask the heavy stt players they're opinions on how your managing your br.
give examples as such:
Table opens at a time during session, Buy-in, and total BR.
opinions on things like, eg. 8 x 5$'s vs 4x10$s', is there a different in this for BR management etc.
ill start it off. at the moment im playing 6 x 5.50$'s(33$total) with a BR of 500, which i grinded up from 100, starting on the 2.20's. that makes around 15 "buy ins" so around 7.5% of my BR. any replies would be helpful to me, and im sure others of when to move up a level, or possibly move down etc etc, thanks.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:36 AM

Default Re: STT bankroll management

From the FAQ
Old 11-28-2007, 02:39 AM

I don't think it really matters how much you are playing at a certain time, just play as man y as you can play without decreasing your play. Usually people play with 100ish buyins in their roll. But for serious pros it can be more, or for others it can be lower if you are willing to move down when you struggle if need be.
With a roll of 500 I would be playing the 6.50s though, you dont wanna mess around at the 3's and their rake. I would actually play the 6.50s with amounts much smaller than that fwiw. ( I started with a br around 200 when i got into Sngs. fwiw)
Old 11-28-2007, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
From the FAQ

[/ QUOTE ]

and yea that works too.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:40 AM

ive seen that, im asking about other things also, tables played at same time etc, and hoping to see how different people are managing theyre BR's
Old 11-28-2007, 02:48 AM

I do 8-12 tables of the $6.50's and currently have a little over 275 buy ins. I don't think I'm even close to the standard.

The only reason I haven't moved up yet is because I'm not completely comfortable with my ICM and I want to get comfortable with more tables. Also, there aren't nearly as many regs at the 6.50s as there are at the 16s.

I will always have 100 buy ins and probably 150 for the level I play.

Edit: The amount of regs only matters for me while I'm working on adding more tables. Once I get comfortable with 16+ tables I'm leaving the 6.50s ASAP
Old 11-28-2007, 02:52 AM

so you have 27 "buyins" if we see it as 10 average as a load up.so u have around 3-4% of your BR invested when u load up, i think you should be considering moving up, this is my opinion though, and if you did, it could be wise to play 6-8 tables, as it wouldnt effect much on your "buyins" but still get you used to the next level.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:55 AM

it really doesnt matter how much % of your br you have invested during one session. If you are winning playing that many tables it doesn't make any difference.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:57 AM

Yeah, I plan on moving up next month. Another thing for me is I've never put in a decent amount of volume in a month before. I've played 570 tournies(not a lot, I know) this month and I had 450 of those done by the 13th. My next closest month is 210. So it was also a matter of just getting into a routine.

I know I'm probably missing out on a decent amount by not moving up, but I want to make sure I'm not concerned about the money while I'm playing.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:00 AM

but i was saying ie: 10 x 6.50s(65$) is what stallowned is playing, if he moves up, he can play 6x11$'s which is 66$, get the chance to move up, yet not have the feeling he is out of his roll etc, and also less tables does imo at least slightly improve your play, so possibly another bonus of moving up this way