Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 11-12-2007, 07:44 PM

Default Flopped boat OOP against LAG ($5/5)

Notes on villain: after raising pre (with a weak range!) will lead into a 3-way field with middle pair no draw on drawy board (5JQ w/ fd) and 3-barrel until the river (assuming no draw got there).
just calling sandwiched = a trap? did it with top set = nuts on drawy board

he's 34/6/2/1231. he shouldn't have any significant history with me under the account I'm using. he c-bets a very high %, so I'm not a fan of leading, though maybe I should consider it.

Poker Room skin
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $5/$5
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $1.027.20
UTG+1: $120
MP1: $494.50
MP2: $270
MP3: $955
CO: $861.75
Button: $50
SB: $1.989.50
hero: $500

Pre-flop: (9 players) hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
5 folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $25</font>, 2 folds, hero calls.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($55, 2 players)
hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets $40</font>, hero?
Old 11-12-2007, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Flopped boat OOP against LAG ($5/5)

Fold PF imo.
I would c/r now, about pot. He's not folding a 9, and he's probably calling with some other random stuff like AQJT or something.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:06 PM

Timber, why do you advocate folding PF like 92% of the time you reply to a post? It cracks me up. Do you play that tight or do you just like to seem like you make the optimal play at all times?

If you can rule out AA enough of the time to want to get it in here and I'm 95% this is the case, I'd call and lead the turn for 1/2 pot. Make it look like a total float/steal attempt and see if you can get him to bite. FWIW- I play mostly 1/2 and this seems to work as well as any move for me in this position. Don't know how it'd work up a level.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:15 PM

~150 total and take it from there.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:15 PM

folding pre wtf?? anyway as played i usually do something weird in these spots, like maybe c/r the minimum, or maybe lead for $10. if villan is really agro he might try and represent AAxx (if he has it im just gonna go broke) sensing we have a weak 9 or something.

its pretty tough to get paid off in these spots, especially with the lack of draws out there. i dont really like c/c as villan is surely going to smell a rat
Old 11-12-2007, 08:30 PM

Against someone who seems fond of mindless aggression, I could see a couple different lines here, but I think c/c the flop and turn and either c/c or c/r the river depending on how much is left (and I'm too lazy to do the math) may be best.

I could also see c/c the flop and c/r the turn, or maybe a weak lead on the turn. I think there's some merit in fast-playing the hand on the flop (especially against a lunatic), but if he has a 9, I think you may make more with another line; if he has AA, it doesn't matter what you do; and if he has total air, he'll just fold the overwhelming majority of the time.

In general, I think I prefer a line that doesn't include a lead because I'm not sure if this guy is aggressive enough to fall for it; my gut says no, but you'd have a better idea. Regardless, I think you make the most by giving him the opportunity to barrel you off your hand.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:47 PM

It tilts me every time I open up a thread and see someone advocate folding a hand like this... Anyways, as far as this spot: since you're shortstacked, I would just eliminate AA from his range (if he has it, oh well, welcome variance) and proceed with the hand trying to extract value from it. I don't like a smooth call here because then you may be a bit lost if a KQJT hits and maybe gives him K-T full of 9s. I prefer to min-raise in this spot because it looks like either the nuts or a bluff; LAG (I make this mistake frequently) will often convince themself it's a bluff and 3bet very light or just call with a lone Ace. The way to extract, the most money, IMO, after a min-raise has been called on the flop, is to check the turn (could be viewed as surrendering a bluff) and then putting in a 2/4 value bet on the river. I find this play gets called very often by backdoored str8s, flushes, lower 9s played by good careful players, and the occasional Ace.

Sorry if this post is jumbled, I'm running on little sleep.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:54 PM

I'm not shortstacked, we're on 100BBs effective.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:57 PM

Calling preflop is atroci... Sorry! I don't see why you guys think that folding preflop is that horrible. We're calling with a hand that mostly just flops draws when OOP. It's straight cards are gapped. Why are we so in love with this?

I would most likely call too, but I don't think folding is horrible, because I hate being OOP. How do you guys play here if you flop NFD? I hate NFD OOP and I end up check-folding to a PSB a lot
Old 11-12-2007, 09:02 PM

Unlike you and steve badger, I'm capable of playing draws OOP profitably! If I have fold equity I play them aggro, if I don't I take them to value-town when I hit. Preflop isn't an argument, and it shouldn't be for you. If anything the argument should be whether I 3-bet here.