Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 11:06 AM

Default Sen. Feinstein Letter

Dear Mr. XXXXXX:

Thank you for contacting me regarding Internet gambling. I appreciate you taking the time to contact me on this important topic and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

There is no doubt that the Internet and related technologies have had a remarkable effect on the U.S. economy in recent years. Commerce on the Internet has enhanced American industry's ability to distribute goods economically and efficiently. The continuing development of this industry in California has provided hundreds of thousands of new, well-paying jobs, and I am committed to strengthening online commerce and preserving and expanding this vital job base.

The advent of the Internet has clearly been beneficial to American society; however, I believe the same cannot be said for Internet-based gambling activity. Internet gambling has become too easily accessible to minors, too subject to fraud and criminal misuse, and too easily used as a tool to evade state gambling laws.

While I understand your thoughts on internet gambling, I have supported legislation aimed at curbing Internet gambling during my tenure in the Senate. For example, I supported the SAFE Port Act, passed into law as Public Law 109-347, which included (as Title VIII) Internet gambling restrictions.

While we do not necessarily agree on this particular topic, please know that I will certainly keep your thoughts in mind should legislation on Internet gambling be considered in the 110th Congress.

Again, thank you for your letter. I hop you will continue to keep me informed on issues of importance to you. Best regards.

Sincerely yours, Dianne Feinstein

United States Senator
Old 11-05-2007, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Sen. Feinstein Letter

"I will certainly keep your thoughts in mind should legislation on Internet gambling be considered in the 110th Congress."
If you want her support you better figure out how this legislation presents an economic opportunity for women....
Old 11-05-2007, 12:15 PM

It never ceases to amaze me how, those concerned with abuses of the unregulated internet gambling world, assume that the remedy is prohibition rather than regulation.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:32 PM

Same Senator who caved on the Mukasey "I cant say for sure if water boarding is torture" nomination.

Cant you folks in CA get someone better?

Waterboarding might just not be torture, yeah right; and of course kids will be better protected by getting to play at illegal gambling sites rather than being barred from legal, regulated ones.

The intelligence gene must be slowly breeding out of humans, I fear. Otherwise why do we keep electing these fools?

Skallagrim
Old 11-05-2007, 01:45 PM

Default NannyState Stalinist

F**king NannyState Stalinist
Old 11-05-2007, 01:50 PM

Sometimes we get the representation we deserve. I have voted Democrat all my life, but I could not vote for Feinstein were I in California.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:56 PM

She's always been strongly against us. I think she's an F-, right along with Kyl.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:30 PM

F- is too nice, we should have a lower category. How about ISI? "Infernal Stalinist Idiot" (Although probably Milton and I are the only ones to truly appreciate the reference).

This Senator is the epitome of everything wrong with the Democratic party. I wouldn't even consider voting Democratic right now except, to my horror, the Republicans are actually worse!

Skallagrim
Old 11-05-2007, 02:52 PM

Skall, as a former Republican, and still fiscal, limited government conservative, to my horror, I completely agree with you. Look at the price of the dollar. Bushs' spend but don't tax is worse than the Dems tax and spend. And I am afraid that the free trade policy under both Bush and Clinton has lead to an unacceptable high negative balance of trade and of payments. We have too many problems much worse than the UIGEA.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:07 PM

Pretty much the exact same thing that I got from her, back when I sent her a message before the UIGEA was passed. Got pretty much the same thing from Boxer, too.