Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-02-2007, 07:16 PM

Default Re: NBA: Gold Medal Super Star Theory

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I JUST LOOKED AT THE ARTICLE TO SEE HIS SCORING SYSTEM AND HE DOESN'T EVEN FACTOR IN NBA TITLES INTO THE SCORING SYSTEM!

[/ QUOTE ]

umm obv, the point of the article is to show that you need atleast 1 or 2 all-nba players in order to win a championship.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then how can anyone completely dismiss the article as being a self fufilling prophecy is this is the criteria he bases it on? I just don't understand. You get handed NBA titles for making the all-nba first team?!?! All-nba teams are based on the regular season, and are completely separate from any post season sucess.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ewing could have won multiple championships if it wasnt for Jordan imo.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol the 2 years jordan was out ewing got pwned by hakeem first and then by rik smits and reggie miller.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ewing could have won multiple championships if it wasnt for Jordan imo.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol the 2 years jordan was out ewing got pwned by hakeem first and then by rik smits and reggie miller.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah really "pwned". they took both series to 7 games and should have won the title in '94.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:48 PM

Fonkey,
All-Pro teams and MVPs are correlated with teams that have successful regular seasons which is correlated with teams that have successful playoffs.

Also there are serious sample size issues since inherently there can only be one or two stars on a team. So if the championship switched every year and no team ever won twice you would have at most 20-25 stars on championship teams over a 10-15 year span.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fonkey,
All-Pro teams and MVPs are correlated with teams that have successful regular seasons which is correlated with teams that have successful playoffs.

Also there are serious sample size issues since inherently there can only be one or two stars on a team. So if the championship switched every year and no team ever won twice you would have at most 20-25 stars on championship teams over a 10-15 year span.

[/ QUOTE ]

:clap: are we on for any degen FB betting?
Old 11-02-2007, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Pistons beat the Lakers 5 games to none. They followed it up with a 7-game coinflip with the Spurs. Suggesting they were lucky is really disingenuous I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

i did not mean to suggest that they didn't deserve to win. i don't want to hijack this thread arguing whether they were better than the 04 lakers, but i don't think it's disingenuous to say that they were not. my point is that they are a deviation from the norm and that their chances of winning a single title, much less multiple, were slim in comparison to teams that fit the superstar mold; i don't see why anyone would disagree. obv this doesn't mean you can't win w/o an elite player; i originally referenced detroit as an example of why a gm shouldn't bail on a team just b/c it lacks a "gold medal superstar."
Old 11-02-2007, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The pistons won more than one title without anyone who was considered a superduperstar at that point, and I don't think anyone on that roster would even be considered one now. You could also argue that the old bad boy pistons were a bunch of well abover average players... I don't think Thomas qualifies as a super-duper-star by todays standards. Also, most of the teams who have championships in the last two decades that I would actually know something about had a superstar AND an above average supporting cast... there have just been some stacked teams in recent history.

[/ QUOTE ]

Career averages of 19.2 points(65th highest in NBA history), 1.9 steals(22nd highest average in NBA history) and 9.3 assists(4th highest average in NBA history) aren't bad at all. He was also an 11 time all star.

102,455 and counting
Old 11-02-2007, 09:13 PM

Ya, I'll make sidebets whenever we play each other.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ya, I'll make sidebets whenever we play each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, okay. Want to do any yearly ones? I'm fine with no escrow, so it's not like we'll have any money tied up not being able to use it.