Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Charity Events (PPA involved)

[ QUOTE ]
HI Gildwulf:

I don't thnk this should be allowed either. By allowing stuff like this, we'll open the flood gates (so to speak) and some of this stuff, as we saw with the CEO Poker Tour, won't be legit.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? Just a thread that says "hey do a good deed today" and posting screenshots or telling stories about it?

What exactly kind of floodgate do you expect this thread to open? No charities will be allowed to solicit. I can recommend going on charityvillage.com to see which charities are legit or not and only picking ones with good ratings. Even if a few people end up picking a bad charity but we end up raising $40,000 for good charities again I don't see a problem.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In general I think it's wrong to be asking our members for money. If you want to talk about your good deeds, that's a little different as long as the money aspect of the equation is not part of it.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

It's hard not to attach money value to it when the forum is called 'brags, beats and variance'.

And nobody would be asking anyone for money, it would be encouraging people to do something nice for someone over the holidays with no necessary monetary value required. If that's $1000 to a charity, great. If it's volunteering at a soup kitchen for $0, even better.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:40 AM

This is another example of precisely the sort of thing I don't think we should be doing. I'm very uncomfortable with asking our members for money, especially for political candidates.

By the way, and this is something I don't advertise, but there is a Mason Malmuth Foundation. It is a private charity I have set up and in which I privately give to. My accountant set it up in such a way that I can accept donations, which would be tax deductable for those who give. But it's not promoted in any way on these forums since I feel that asking our members for money is wrong.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 10-31-2007, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Berge:

This is just the sort of thing that I'm very uncomfortable with and I do not believe we should allow on our site. I believe it is a mistake to allow any requests for money from our members even if the cause is good.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotcha
Old 11-15-2007, 12:38 AM

bump for popular support for bbv holiday charity drive