Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games

Old 10-25-2007, 03:58 PM

Default History of gaming platforms- Commodore 64

History of gaming platforms- C64

Being an older gamer, one of my favorite systems of all time was my C64. At the time I had an Atari, and soon a Colecovision, but nothing compared to my C64 where I could play more complex, more fun, more entertaining games, and even write my own games once I got my Commodore 1541 single sided floppy disk drive. The article was a great way to remember my first comp, and one of my favorite gaming machines.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:35 PM

Default Re: History of gaming platforms- Commodore 64

Awesome - one of my first games for the c64 was Carnival, quickly followed up by Gateway to Apshai (which I thought was brilliant on a cartridge - no more L(shift)O"*",8,1

Games with laughable (in today's world at least) graphics, with budgets in the hundreds of $'s that still destroy 90% of today's RTS or FPS in terms of enjoyment... Anything that EA did back in the day was gold.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:10 PM

I have a Commodore 64 in its original box sitting in my garage as we speak. Any buyers? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] And yes there were some great great games on that computer. Neuromancer was probably my all time fave followed by Wasteland. Please dont ask how many pages of graph paper I went through playing the Bard's Tale games...
Old 10-25-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Control options and quality: 10.0

[/ QUOTE ]

DOES NOT COMPUTE
Old 10-26-2007, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I learned to type on one of these...
Old 10-26-2007, 11:23 PM

God that brings back the memories. I remember buying the mags then typing all that code into the machine in order to play a free game or app or something. I couldn't afford the sweet 1541 so i just left the system on all the time so I didn't lose any data.

My buddies and I would play Summer Games and Winter Games 24/7 and i remember having a disc-cracker that let me put my "cracked by The Juggler" before I gave copies to all my buddies.

Another one of my buddies had a Vic 20 with the tape drive, it would take like an hour to load anything.

Load"summer",8,1
Old 10-27-2007, 02:31 AM

lol yeah I used to keep my 64 on all the time before I got my 1541.

The worst was typing in one of those long ass programs and then there being an error in one of the lines.

Summer/Winter games were some of my favorite games. Also Dr. J vs Larry Bird: One on One by EA.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:51 PM

Impossible Mission (I think that is what it was called) was such an awesome game
Old 10-27-2007, 01:28 PM

A nice article but obviously written by an American over in Britain and to a lesser extent Europe the C64 found its self locked in a battle for the 8 bit market that would lead to the most hotly contested playground debate of the nineteen eighties, which was better the C64 or the ZX Spectrum
The ZX Spectrum was a phenomenon it kick started the home coding scene and many people credit it with establishing the British computer game industry.

The Debate over which was better may have been hotly contested but it was in reality irrelevant because both were inferior to a late challenger the Amstrad CPC 464, which was able to produce the vibrant colour of the C64 and the finer resolution of the spectrum as well as good sound.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Impossible Mission (I think that is what it was called) was such an awesome game

[/ QUOTE ]

system 3 bought epyx's catalog, and they're supposed to release impossible mission for the ds, psp, and wii.