Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 03:16 AM

Default Re: This game is killing me right now like I cannot believe (long)

[ QUOTE ]
There is no advice. This is Omaha. To badly mangle Godfather II: "This is the business we have chosen." You ran hot. Then you ran cold. Almost no one on here has had experience of that to the extent you're talking about, because normally they just stop posting. The only way you get used to winning and losing big numbers is to win and lose big numbers

[/ QUOTE ]
holla
Old 10-25-2007, 03:18 AM

jobs pfft

i feel your pain, man, i'm on a 11 buyin downswing live over 10 days/20 hours of play, and even though I'm winning small online, you know that it can and will get much much worse in this game. Deal with it, remember the good times, and be sure to remember these times when you're running hot so that you bank/invest some of your hard-earned dough. And when I say invest, I don't mean poker.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
By the time you get bored of looking for, or working at, a normal job you'll have a clear head and be able to come back and play well. And you will have gained some perspective on your situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
be sure to remember these times when you're running hot so that you bank/invest some of your hard-earned dough. And when I say invest, I don't mean poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

i cant add anything to either of these, great advice
Old 10-25-2007, 09:15 AM

Wow, these are the kind of Omaha stories I'll never understand. I've been playing Omaha online for about the past 6 months or so, generally at the 1/2 level or 2/4 level such as yourself. I never have more than 10 buyins at a site, and I haven't had to reload in the entire 6 months. You must play some crazy agressive style to be losing that sort of money. Admittedly I'm a nit, a nut peddler to the extreme, but I don't think I've ever lost more than 4 buyins in an entire week at PLO. I only play 1 table at a time however, sometimes 2, and play maybe 12-14 hours per week. To lose that many buyins in such a short amount of time, I cannot believe anything other than you chasing your losses hardcore and consistently getting it in with the worst when you KNOW you have it in with the worst. This crap I always hear about high variance, my hands never hold up, etc. etc. is just crap to me. When I lose an all in at this game, 70-80% of the time it's because I screwed up somewhere and butchered the hand. I checked my top set on the flop, I raised all in with a stupid ace high flush draw when my opponent has a set, etc. etc. Of course there are bad beats in this game, but I just cannot believe that you can lose that sum of money at 1/2 and 2/4 in such a short amount of time unless you are playing awful.
I am of course a nit and I'm happy to just grind out $500 a week for extra spending money because I'm an attorney. I never take shots at games bigger than 2/4, because being a nut peddler I'm sure I'll get run over by better players that can see through that. However, what I think is happening here is that you're moving down in limits to gain your confidence back, and you're making moves against solid players like me that always have the goods if we're playing back at you. You're in that downward spiral that winning higher limit players get into when they start losing, and my best advice is to take an extended break. Nothing but time off is going to stop this free fall.

Also, don't post your poker screen name on here whatever you do. ;P
Old 10-25-2007, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Upon returning home to the USA, I resumed playing. I went on a huge tear through the whole month of August. I was incredibly focused on poker and was playing my A game almost always. I ran the 8k I had up to over 50k playing first 1/2, and then moving up to 2/4 and 3/6. I felt great, I was playing great, and running great.

[/ QUOTE ]

8k -> 50k in a month at those stakes playing 3 or so hours per day? lol you were running siiiiick hot
Old 10-25-2007, 10:10 AM

My experience is similar to that of NickyC. I have been playing 1/2 (occaisonally 2/4) PLO for 2 years now on Party and Full Tilt and have never had more then a 6 buyin drop. The variance is high in PLO, but you can get your money in so good that it doesn't really matter. Of course, you can also push smaller edges to maximize win rate, but the downside is the increased variance and how you deal with that psychologically.

Whatever style you play, don't tilt and above all else, practice good game selection.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:18 AM

in my last 73k hands, over all stakes, I have had 9 downswings of 10 buyins or more. The biggest was 26 buyins.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:23 AM

I was going to add to that "and I don't play a particularly swingy style" but I checked in PTO and my SD/100 is 559 ptBB. That's not normal, right? I think there may be something wrong with my PTO.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:41 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] lost 40K - OMG.... sorry to hear that... Yeah I get upset sometimes when I just lose some profit let alone lose that much. You probably need a break.. a long break... how is ultra tilt not possible when you take that kind of hit?

This is the kind of STORY that scares the crap out of me!

I really hope this doesn't happen to me [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

Sorry that it happened to you.

How about this suggestion if you can't stay away from playing a game, play much lower stakes than you are accustomed to until you feel comfortable again. Or can really deal with huge variance like this. You do sound like an ultra agressive player and that works well ( i think) at the lower stakes tables where you can handle a lot of variance.

Good Luck [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was going to add to that "and I don't play a particularly swingy style" but I checked in PTO and my SD/100 is 559 ptBB. That's not normal, right? I think there may be something wrong with my PTO.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol wtf RT, I think most people on here were 90-110 ish...
Closed Thread