Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 06:43 PM

Default Re: uNL 1 year report card

a. Traffic- Hands can get lost very quickly at times but I've never had a problem getting an appropriate and solid level of response. All we need to do as posters is browse past the front page occaisionally to see if anything has been seriously neglected or missed, simple. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
b. Quality of the advice- Usually solid and it was never dificult to separate the wheat from the chaff, anything contentious and there's usually a decent discussion surrounding it.
c. Quality of the moderation- Honestly think you guys do a great job, esp at micro stakes where there's so many newbs lol, needs a heavy hand at some times and a bit of paitience at others, well done [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
d. Other suggestions - We may need more digests lol, should get a little network going to watch out for quality stuff as though most is stickied, if you're away for a few days can miss some quality stuff!
Old 10-23-2007, 06:45 PM

Traffic - I think that the majority of hands get a good amount of responses.

Quality - some good, some bad, some great. The bad advice seems unavoidable considering the target audience. I think it's good for the learning process to try and decipher what is good advice and what's bad. I really think it's great how much the forum vets participate in the posts cause many of the hands are probably so standard and boring for them that overtime it probably gets a little tedious responding to the same kinds of hands over and over. It really helps the newbies though, thanks guys.

Moderation - no complaints

Other - can't think of any good ones right now.

EDIT: Oh ya, I saw someone suggest this a little while ago. Having an end of the month post where people submit the threads of the month or something would be cool.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:00 PM

A.) Good. I can post a hand, take a shower, and be responed to by the time I get back.
B.) A lot of bad advice, but it's pretty easy to spot (ignore all of mine). Positive is bad advice usually gets called out and discussed in a friendly way why it is wrong.
C.) Great. Rarely does anything get too out of hand and it doesn't seem like there are nearly as many "search-ignorant" posters here as most other forums.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A.) Good. I can post a hand, take a shower, and be responed to by the time I get back.
B.) A lot of bad advice, but it's pretty easy to spot (ignore all of mine). Positive is bad advice usually gets called out and discussed in a friendly way why it is wrong.
C.) Great. Rarely does anything get too out of hand and it doesn't seem like there are nearly as many "search-ignorant" posters here as most other forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeh i joined just after the split and have to say i have had a massively positive experience from uNL. I am sad i am still here but that's life.

my only slight crit is that i would like to see the mods in general post more poker content. i don't mean this in a mods should change their lifestyle/posting habits so bozzer is happy kind of way, i mean that perhaps future mods should be selected with that aspect more emphasised. only a small thing, and i think ama is doing a pretty good job with that so far so i might be out of line.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:29 PM

a. Seems healthy

b. [ QUOTE ]
As a newbie posting in threads here, if I make an argument about why I think a hand should or not be played a certain way, it's usually not just because I think I'm giving advice but because I'm interested in getting input or being corrected by better or more experienced players. I worry about giving bad advice but I don't see any other way to get started except by jumping in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put by well played. Also just want to say that I really appreciate the fact that posters who successfully play much, much higher than uNL take the time to drop into the basement occasionally.

c. Fine

d. One-line replies aren't always bad. Sometimes they are appropriate, and some very good posters communicate useful advice through them.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

d. Other suggestions

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to see a separate preflop forum under the PL/NL Texas Hold'em section.
It's one of the areas that most micro stakes players need the most help with. I don't post a lot, but I want to change that, and after a session I usually find that many of the tough spots I find myself in started because I wasn't sure how to play optimally preflop. However, I don't want to clutter the micro forums with multiple pf situations, but they are so fundamental to one's game that I think a separate forum would be very beneficial.
It would also create a lot less traffic in the micro forum, as there are a lot of pf posts.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One-line replies aren't always bad. Sometimes they are appropriate, and some very good posters communicate useful advice through them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the first person needs to explain his thought processes, not just say, "Fist pump."

After 10 posts of the same advice it's fine to just say call.

Obv, if the hand is semi-interesting, any answer (first or 50th) should take more than five words to answer.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:32 PM

most of this: tl;dr

I would like to make a short point about the advice here.
When I reged, I don't remember seeing this forum so I started in SSNL. I took a long break from 2p2 and a short one from poker. As I'm back now, I usually browse several forums (unl, ssnl, msnl, beginners, bbv, and once in a while I'll read hsnl).

Yes, the advice can be pretty terrible here, but we are all here to learn (ldo). As long as we are all trying to do that, this forum will only get better and better.

I'm getting better at giving good advice, but that is only from reading a LOT of it. I read stuff from Orange, Pokey, Jay, Grimm, Goofy, and anyone else who posts a lot in SSNL/MSNL and I look at their thoughts. I'm a different person than they are, so I'll have a different approach than they do. Even so, I still respect them a lot. There's no need to get into those stupid flame wars, with ANYONE. If someone is being a douche, tell a mod and play some poker (spend 5 minutes OFF of 2p2). The mods are there for a reason.

All that said, I think that about 60% of my current game has come from reading and posting (and getting flamed) here on 2p2. This place is awesome.

side note: I'll try to define good advice. Advice is someone's idea about WHY a hand should be played a certain way. If you read through some of the unl/ssnl replies, so many of them say "shove turn!!@1111!!! LDO!!!!1" Then the good ssnl posters and many msnl posters go on for two pages about their analysis of a hand/concept. I also remember reading an article in card player or the like where they staged a hand with three pros. Any idea how small that type is??? Their thoughts were 3-4 pages in this article.

side side note: unl questions are not just the .01/.02nl questions. they are beginner q's. They talk about flush draws and simple odds. ssnl questions are probably more theoryish than you might think (squeezing a good reg, etc) and have little to do with playing 1/2nl. Think of unl as high school for poker players. ssnl might be like college. MSNL is working on your master's degree. And HSNL, well, who the hell knows what they think about up there!

:-D
Old 10-23-2007, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Folks,

Well, its been a little over a year since the uNL/SSNL splits, so lets get some feedback.

First, Id like to thank all the posters that have made this place a great strat forum, and helped keep it to the high 2p2 standards. There are very few that still post here since the inception, but special thanks to munkey, pokey, ama, thac, kaz, gelford and anyone else that was here from the strat.

Now that we have that out of hte way, I want to hear we you the posters think of the following

a. Traffic- Do you feel as if you hand gets lost too fast, or does it receive appropiate responses.
b. Quality of the advice
c. Quality of the moderation- What policies would you like to see changed or implemented?
d. Other suggestions

Thanks,

uNL mods

[/ QUOTE ]well... cant believe it has been a whole year of unl being around. i remember when it was first started up and i actually started participating in discusions and posting regularly on 2p2 (and sure enough that is when i first became a winning cash game player consistently [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

i am so thankfull for the change. when it was just ssnl i NEVER posted. i think i reg in aug 05. and from then till whenever unl opened i think i had like 150 posts. they were almost exclusively in sttf and mainly in OT threads with the now shibs and all those goof balls.

unl popped up and i was like hey this is me. i just switched to cash. awsome. heres my chance to get better and fit in a bit. boom. started posting a lot and learned a ton. met some awsome people who i love. and it still shows as i still have yet to migrate to ssnl for several reasons.

in comparison unl is infinatly better. im sure i miss out on some great advice but most of the great posters pass right over my threads in ssnl so it really doesnt matter n e wayz. so i think the traffic here is MUCH better. well thoughtout threads with interesting situations get seen and get discussed in depth for the most part.

the quality of the advice is that of n e forum. some good... some bad. i think that is the toughest part of makin 2p2 help u. sifting thru the good and the bad and being able differentiate between the two. nothing you can do if u get spammed by a bunch of newbs with one liners. but for every 2 crap replies you get one good one. so u have to figure it out.

the mods r awsome as well. i think you all do a great job keepin this place alive and kicking. im sure it is a handfull and would never complain about the job you do. keep up the good work.

my only suggestion is to keep buckling down on the newbs giving one line responses. it helps them get better and it helps breed good posters which will help the forum mature even more.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:18 PM

My suggestion: bring back the well.

Pilket