Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit

Old 10-14-2007, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Coldcalling preflop with big hands (from Ed Miller DVD)

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't like this. The main thing is, what is our hand range when we CC first in at a normal table? Exactly AA or KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine is AJs KQs AQs sometimes 88, 99, QJs, JTs. Also, if the only hand that youre cold calling are AA and KK, I dont think that they'll notice. It comes up so rarely that they wont be able to pick up a pattern.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:32 PM

Yea in a small stakes game alot of folding ruins it I quit when the folding starts that burns all your money the reraise is if they will call, I have won all my money playing small stakes in super huge pots the small ones help play the blinds thats all. I still reraise cause mostly those I play with you would have some trouble knowing but passive players generally go the easy way so they would fold .
Old 10-15-2007, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea in a small stakes game alot of folding ruins it I quit when the folding starts that burns all your money the reraise is if they will call, I have won all my money playing small stakes in super huge pots the small ones help play the blinds thats all. I still reraise cause mostly those I play with you would have some trouble knowing but passive players generally go the easy way so they would fold .

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude. Separating this into standard English sentences would rock.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really don't like this. The main thing is, what is our hand range when we CC first in at a normal table? Exactly AA or KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine is AJs KQs AQs sometimes 88, 99, QJs, JTs. Also, if the only hand that youre cold calling are AA and KK, I dont think that they'll notice. It comes up so rarely that they wont be able to pick up a pattern.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ed specifically says not to do this against players that will suspect what you're doing. IIRC, he also says "maybe AKs," so he's excluding AKo.

My opponents are nearly as likely to CC 3 bets as 2, so I typically raise away.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:27 AM

This type of play should only be done with very specific game conditions. The game must be weak, so you aren't missing opportunities to 4 bet. The game must also be fairly loose, but not so loose that people often call 2 bets cold. On the flip side, it can't be so tight that calling won't encourage others to call as well.

But don't try to generalize this and make a claim that this is never correct. Ed isn't an idiot. He would never make that play in most of the games that you all play in online.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is a play that probably increases both your variance and win rate. The idea is that these hands are strong enough that you want to make the pot bigger, but the more players you let in pre-flop, the lower your odds of winning the pot. I could see doing this in a tight game where not many people are going to enter a raised pot without a strong hand, and would not call cold call or 4-bet without a premium hand. This essentially means a 3-bet would get it heads up with the raiser a lot of the time.

That probably applies to many online games. If you can accept the higher variance for the higher win rate, it is probably a good play. I don’t think it applies to most live LL games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but in tight games people aren't going to be making a lot of preflop mistakes so if they do call you then it's probably a call you didnt really want AA or no.

Mack
Old 10-16-2007, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah but in tight games people aren't going to be making a lot of preflop mistakes so if they do call you then it's probably a call you didnt really want AA or no.

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

If the action is one UTG raiser and you coldcall with AA, exactly what hand would you not want an overcall from?

That said I think this should basically never be done online; it's at most a small gain in EV that requires better play and risks giving others an exploitable read. It can come up in B&M's though and I think it is important for certian unusual small blind structures like the $2-$10 spread games I sometimes play in.