Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 09:08 AM

Default PL50 KK tough river spot

I'm normally playing NL but PL tables had so much action going on and a bunch of stupid players so i decided to take a look. Hero had played only about 10 minutes at this table so no reads on villain. Notice the stack sizes, not too deep but semi. River makes it interesting, whats my line here?

Poker Room skin
Pot Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$0.50
10 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $63.50
UTG+1: $49.40
UTG+2: $51
MP1: $73.20
MP2: $80.10
MP3: $23.50
CO: $43.80
Button: $54.05
HERO: $91.90
BB: $50

Pre-flop: (10 players) HERO is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
4 folds, MP2 calls, 3 folds, HERO raises to $2.5, BB folds, MP2 calls.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($5.5, 2 players)
HERO bets $4.5, MP2 calls.

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($14.5, 2 players)
HERO bets $13.5, MP2 calls.

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($41.5, 2 players)
HERO?

What's the best line here? Rivercard is an ugly one and villain has about $50 left.

Should I continue firing a (blocker?) bet on the river and fold to villains push or should i check-call depending how much villain bets? It's obvious that he will fire here if i check? Checking here would lose a ton of value from hands like AK, KQ, AQ, QQ but betting and facing a push would be a bad one too.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:17 AM

Default Re: PL50 KK tough river spot

i think your best bet is something around 1/2 the pot. that way you get a value bet out of weaker hands and if he did draw to a flush or (flop a straight) you can safely fold if he pushes. if villain had rivered the flush you still make money in the long run with a 1/2 pot bet as he still did not get enough odds to call turn bet.

also the 1/2 bet on river could be a bet made with the nuts or a somewhat strong hand and making these bets will always keep opponents guessing.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:08 PM

At first i thought about firing 1/2 size the pot bet on the river but after I had a short moment of thinking I decided to check.

The reason why I did so was the fact that I had fired almost full pot on every other street and now when the third club hits the board it would look weak and villain could push me off with just about any two - we were still pretty deep. Checking here will lose a bunch of value from hands I beat but I don't think two pairs would give me much value anyways. Instead getting value from worse hands I also induce a bluff here because most of the players at these microstakes will try to take out the pot on the river if I have showed strength before the scarecard hits.

So I checked and villain fired $20 which I kinda liked because my blocker would have been about the same. But the thing I didn't like was his cards - JT of clubs. What do you think about villains play?
Old 09-19-2007, 09:10 PM

Like most slowplays: he lost a LOT of value here...
Old 09-19-2007, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Like most slowplays: he lost a LOT of value here...

[/ QUOTE ]

its almost sad to watch some1 just throw so much value out the window. but then again...its how i minimize loss, so i cant complain too much =)