Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 09-12-2007, 02:29 PM

Default Home game hand, tough spot

Fellow 2+2er hosts weekly london home game. Usually holdem but a sprinkling of dealers choice. This is standard 4-card PLO.

Villain is probably a winning player, but only because of good game selection. He's clearly very clever, but I don't think he's bothered reading poker books or anything. My general read on him is that he's quite loose for small bets and raises but when the big money comes out he's rarely bluffing or even semi-bluffing, though I would expect him to play a big multiway nut draw the same way he'd play top set.

I'm in the SB with AAT5, one suit. He limps in EP, along with a couple of others. I complete to £2. My stack is about £220, he covers.

Flop is 855. I come out betting for the pot (£10). He raises pot, to £40. He does this with any 5, and sometimes a wrap. I guess he could occasionally turn up with KK here, in fact, but very rarely.

What's my play? I'm OOP and stack sizes are awkward. I'm ahead (crushing) here too often to fold, I'm only really happy to get stacks in on the turn if an ace or 5 comes, and there's the further consideration that I'm on my only bullet for the night.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Home game hand, tough spot

[ QUOTE ]
I'm ahead (crushing) here too often to fold, I'm only really happy to get stacks in on the turn if an ace or 5 comes,

[/ QUOTE ]

repot
Old 09-12-2007, 02:46 PM

I hate investing a lot of money in unraised pots on trips. IMO you're shown 88 here too often to make repotting worth it. I guess I call and pray for that beautiful ace on the turn.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:47 PM

I mean, realistically, even if he has a lower 5 than you, he still has probably 9 outs to a better hand anyways. I think that you're safer off playing it slow rather than raising.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:54 PM

if he's crushing villains range (which is his read) and doesn't want to see an awkard turn spot (which he said he doesn't), just pot it now. You'll either get it all in now ahead of his range (your read) or get him to fold (which is good for only bringing 1 BI for the game.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:08 PM

Yeh I put it in here usually, then rebuy if wrong.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:49 PM

Call and donk any turn bigger than an 8.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:25 PM

i think decent players in general dislike playing trips on this type of board and villan is no exception. i think if you really are ahead of his range here and he has something like 579T he would call rather than repot as he has position through the rest of the hand.

as he has repot here, into the rest of the field, i think you are either looking at 88xx or obviously more likely 85XX and hes happy to charge you for drawing out to a higher kicker

i think the only way i could find a repot here is if you think he had any inclination you might fancy raising pre with AAxx, and then thought better of it
Old 09-12-2007, 06:46 PM

Ok, so I raised again, to £90 (£50 more), expecting him to fold anything but A5xx where xx are cards higher than an 8, 85, or 88. He thought about it a short time then went all-in. I have to call £128 for a pot of £440. Can I pass?
Old 09-12-2007, 06:54 PM

I would have never raised the flop but given your play, yeah, you might as well follow your initial read and then, if wrong, hope for an ace or ten.