Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which Parody is the shizznit
Queen 8 50.00%
Bowie 8 50.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2007, 12:19 AM

Default Re: I disagree with Bob Ciaffone. Who is right?

[ QUOTE ]
that is why I was so surprised to see he has it written that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

RR - if the post was live then the SB has a significant advantage by always sitting out and instead playing the cutoff with a 1/2 bet, this would be the worlds greatest angle if it was allowed. Bob must have had a senior moment, he knows better than this.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At red rock station the small blind is definitely live.
Even more perplexing: a few times I got up to go to the bathroom or take a call after posting the BB, but missing the small, and they let me post the SB - live- on the button. Which makes it so if you ever needed to get up for one hand only (the bathrooms are really close to the limit tables) you could abuse this rule. Other times though they kept the button where it was, made me post a SB just to the left of it, and had three blinds. So it depends on the dealer.
I hope I am explaining this correctly.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played at Red Rock, I don't recall this to be true.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Even more perplexing: a few times I got up to go to the bathroom or take a call after posting the BB, but missing the small, and they let me post the SB - live- on the button. Which makes it so if you ever needed to get up for one hand only (the bathrooms are really close to the limit tables) you could abuse this rule. Other times though they kept the button where it was, made me post a SB just to the left of it, and had three blinds. So it depends on the dealer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen it live in rooms with small games where they don't bother to know how things "should" be.

[/ QUOTE ]

For being a fairly big room with what are considered to be good dealers, there is a lot of variation in what the dealers think are the rules there.
For instance, I have seen dealers still as of three weeks ago (when I last played) not know what the friggin cap was on a limit game betting round!
Another example: there is always confusion about the "unlimited betting when it is heads-up rule" - it doesn't have to be headsup going into the street to be unlimited like at some rooms - it just has to be headsup when the cap is reached. I've seen that applied both ways at RR.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Missed small blind is dead and that's the only scheme that makes sense to me. Otherwise you get to play your small blind from much better position without penalty.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure Bob knows this also, that is why I was so suprised to see he has it written that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

But don't you miss your button hand and have to re-enter at the cut-off? You're skipping the best possible position on the table each orbit to avoid paying the blinds in turn? I'd love it if someone wanted to do that to me -- let it be live...
Old 08-22-2007, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played at Red Rock, I don't recall this to be true.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you mean whether the SB is live - it is defintely live - I would bet 235420398503285 million dollars on that. Just trust me on the whole post - before the rake increase pissed me off I played exclusively in the limit games there.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:43 AM

It's live in a lot of vegas rooms.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's live in a lot of vegas rooms.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which ones? I haven't come across this before. I've probably played at RR 3-5 times and never noticed it, I know its not that way in any of the rooms you or I usually frequent - is it that way at places like Sahara?
Old 08-22-2007, 12:55 AM

missing your button is a rather significant penalty
Old 08-22-2007, 01:05 AM

RR > Bob Ciaffone! Period.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:21 AM

I've had this discussion repeatedly on my staff, and I think that Ciaffone has it right.

The key principle is to protect the other players from a forced raise.

When posting BB+SB, the SB must be posted dead. Otherwise, the other players would have to call a forced raise (SB amount) on top of the regular bet (BB) to enter the pot.

When posting only the SB, this is no longer the case, so the SB should remain live (just as if it had been posted normally).

q/q