Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 02:06 AM

Default Re: Full Tilt PLO8 - $400...What To Do?

Leading for approximately two-thirds the size of the pot into 3 opponents after a low enabled is not weakness.

But either way, I don't see this being extremely significant to our decision. If he's weak, he'll fold (cases 1 and 2 above). If he's strong he'll shove and we have the potential for case 3.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:44 AM

Should I post results of what I did and my rationale or wait until this afternoon?
Old 08-16-2007, 09:05 AM

Mend--

Really surprised you think this call is "good" (not all the time obviously)...At the time that was my rationale, I was on the button and would be the last to act...I could get away from the hand if a J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] came on the turn so I really wasn't worried about getting trapped here and the steal thing did cross my mind...
Old 08-16-2007, 09:19 AM

Maybe my reading is off or it's just the people who I have been playing with but usually when somebody backs down their bets like that (in percentage of the pot terms) they really aren't too happy with their hand...

TURN:
TURN: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
VILLIAN 1 bets $40
VILLIAN 2 calls $40

HERO RAISES to $248
VILLIAN 1 CALLS $208
VILLIAN 2 FOLDS

RIVER: 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
VILLIAN 1 checks
HERO bets all-in
VILLIAN 1 calls $51

VILLIAN 1 shows A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

When I raised I was thinking of promoting my pair of 8s for the high and thought that I could squeeze the in between caller out, pressuring a weak high hand that didn't like calling for a stack...I was hoping to take the pot down right there, with neither of them calling...When VILLIAN 1 just flat called I knew I was probably in pretty good shape for 3/4 as if he had really any high hand he should put in his last $51 right there...My read on VILLIAN 1's betting was correct here, he wasn't that in love with his hand although he did have a weakish draw to the nuts (weakish meaning he had 2 counterfeiters in his hand)...I think this was a fairly risky play as was noted earlier I didn't have counterfeit protection here...But I was pleased I was able to get max value out of this hand...
Old 08-16-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think you're using extreme selective memory when you say you've rarely seen someone do it too. I do it quite often and I've seen a ton of good players do it. The situation in which I do it is this:

I flop two strong draws. Now on the flop, I wouldn't mind getting it all in, nor would I mind taking it down then and there. What I don't want to do is give people a cheap turn. So I'll bet very strong. For example in this hand, if I had A23x with the flush draw I'd do that.

Then on the turn I hit my low draw but still have nothing for high. Now I may either check or bet "weaker". The reasoning is that I still have one nut hand and I may have nut high/nut low on river so I'd like to build the pot a little. I guess checking is an option here, but I don't want to give a free card and I definitely don't want to check and then see the river ruin my low by putting an A or 3 out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2007, 01:18 PM

I forgot to reply to this comment:

Against tricky opponents yes this may be a sucker bet on the turn to try to get me to do what I did...Point taken...BUT when I am playing against a new player I revert to a standard play pattern against them until I find out otherwise by formal confrontation or by observing them in a confrontation...Might not be the right play or whatever, but it seems to have worked so far...Yeah in the rare instances they are playing differently than I would expect, so I'll note it and watch out for it next time...
Old 08-16-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mend--

Really surprised you think this call is "good" (not all the time obviously)...At the time that was my rationale, I was on the button and would be the last to act...I could get away from the hand if a J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] came on the turn so I really wasn't worried about getting trapped here and the steal thing did cross my mind...

[/ QUOTE ]

Which call? Why is "good" in quotes? I said I fold the flop most of the time but "don't hate" the call here...
Translated, when I am playing my most solid game, I fold, when I am in gambling mode, I call.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I raised I was thinking of promoting my pair of 8s for the high and thought that I could squeeze the in between caller out, pressuring a weak high hand that didn't like calling for a stack...I was hoping to take the pot down right there, with neither of them calling...When VILLIAN 1 just flat called I knew I was probably in pretty good shape for 3/4 as if he had really any high hand he should put in his last $51 right there...My read on VILLIAN 1's betting was correct here, he wasn't that in love with his hand although he did have a weakish draw to the nuts (weakish meaning he had 2 counterfeiters in his hand)...I think this was a fairly risky play as was noted earlier I didn't have counterfeit protection here...But I was pleased I was able to get max value out of this hand...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a hard time putting villians on a hand that is ahead of you. Flop bet screams draw to me (could be flush, could be nut low draw.) If Villian has A3Qx, I think he protects his hand with bigger bets on flop and turn. So, I conclude that the majority of the time I am getting at least 1/2 the low, and there is no way someone has a good enough hand to withstand a pot raise. To me this hand boils down to a single consideration, that is, if someone has A3, is my 8 leading them for the high-- since this is the worst case scenario for someone calling us. I think my pair of 8s is probably ahead of another A3 hand better than 50% of the time, and that is plenty justification to push considering the fold equity and what is in the pot.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:04 PM

I'm referring to the call on the flop...

Good is in quotes because that call is stretching the bounds of the word good...
Old 08-16-2007, 06:06 PM

Bingo Mend...I don't think I could have stated it any better myself...