Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 09:25 PM

Default Re: Tancredo: Threaten to Bomb Muslim Holy Sites in Retaliation

I knew I heard it somewhere before.

Reminds me a bit of the Walter Matthau character in Fail Safe.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I dont' think so in fact I think it would empowerthem and give them a reason to attack us. The resulting chaos of an attack on mecca would be right up their alley.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it would basically increase the number of people who are sympathetic to the radicals and probably increase their recruitment. I think it's more worrisome that more people would move to their side rather than the fact that they would have another excuse.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:14 PM

I thank my personal God that you will never hold a position of responsibility for your fellow human beings.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:47 PM

I made an editorial comment about Tancredo being barbaric; putting (what I consider) to be his inhumanity aside for the moment, Tancredo unbelievably seems to think this is a legitimate option in the event of another terrorist attack. In other words, Tancredo seems to believe that, should America be attacked by terrorists -- an attack that would conceivably carried out by a handful of anational extremists -- a good idea to prevent more attacks would be to bomb places sacred to hundreds of millions of people which exist in an allied country. Seems absolutely mind numbing to me.

By his mere status as an elected federal official and candidate for President, he's already done severe damage to America's image by mere mention of such a "warning". It's not hard to picture various propaganda organs in the Middle East will print this comment and use it as a recruitment tool; does anyone disagree that messages like "US Presidential candidate will blow up Kaaba and the Tomb of Muhammad" will only serve to motivate and incite hatred against the Unite States? And understandably so. I'm ashamed that I live in a country where elected officials are so boorish and stupid, so I can only imagine how outsiders with little to no first-hand knowledge of the American political system may actually believe this a legitimate course of action endorsed by the government. The State Department official quoted in the CNN article is exactly right: Tancredo is [censored] insane.

I can only imagine how actually carrying out such a plan would (rightfully) inflame most of the rest of the world into frenzied opposition against the US -- if not compelling many Americans to turn against their own government. How Tancredo believes this would act is a deterrent is beyond my understanding.

Again, aside from the positively barbaric nature of his comment, it's absolutely bewildering to me that he considers this a serious policy suggestion. It's even more bewildering the leadership of his own party -- many of whom rose up to condemn Ron Paul for engaging in a legitimate debate -- are silent now. And aside from various blog posts at sites like CNN, most of the popular media in the US has remained relatively silent as well. Strange times, indeed, that Paul's comments draw vast amounts of ire and scorn in some corners, while Tancredo's draw mostly shrugs and apathy. Somehow, I don't think Bill O'Reilly, Anderson Cooper, and Joe Scarborough are going to devote much time to Tancredo's idiocy on their shows next week, although I hope I'm wrong. Had he suggested US foreign policy motivated 9/11 terrorists -- that would have earned furious condemnation from the Sean Hannitys of the world. Suggesting we indiscriminately bomb allies and innocents, however...that prompts only silence.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Again, aside from the positively barbaric nature of his comment, it's absolutely bewildering to me that he considers this a serious policy suggestion. It's even more bewildering the leadership of his own party -- many of whom rose up to condemn Ron Paul for engaging in a legitimate debate -- are silent now. And aside from various blog posts at sites like CNN, most of the popular media in the US has remained relatively silent as well. Strange times, indeed, that Paul's comments draw vast amounts of ire and scorn in some corners, while Tancredo's draw mostly shrugs and apathy. Somehow, I don't think Bill O'Reilly, Anderson Cooper, and Joe Scarborough are going to devote much time to Tancredo's idiocy on their shows next week, although I hope I'm wrong. Had he suggested US foreign policy motivated 9/11 terrorists -- that would have earned furious condemnation from the Sean Hannitys of the world. Suggesting we indiscriminately bomb allies and innocents, however...that prompts only silence.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is probably greeted with silence because he is at less than 1% in the polls, and the vast majority of Americans have never heard of him. If former Senator Gravel made a crazy remark (he probably has made several), that wouldn't create a media buzz either. Maybe Tancredo made this stupid remark for the sole intention of getting media coverage...who knows. He might be as upset as you that this hasn't become the issue of the day.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:01 AM

Default Tancredo is a Pacifist Compared.....

Tancredo is a pacifist compared.....compared....what I would do if the islamo-nazis succeed with a an act of nuclear terrorism on the USA.... If Tancredos comments can inject the slightest fear to islamo-nazis that the USA will come down hard on them them his words were well said... His words could save millions of muslims by giving them the knowledge that their actions have consequences...

The response to such an attack must not be equal and measured. It must be overwhelming violent and brutal. People like the OP and typical Dem leaders (like Obama) show they don't have the stomach to hold positions of power. As much as I despise that cowardly weasel Harry Truman, I give him credit for dropping the a-bomb on Japan as payback for their actions in WW2... Based on this precident, having a more harsh reponse to islamo-nazis would be more than justified....
Old 08-04-2007, 09:05 AM

Default Re: Tancredo is a Pacifist Compared.....

Felix -

Although I am ambivalent on the ethics of your position, it warms my heart to know that there are still people willing to do whatever seems necessary to survival. Carry on good sir.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tancredo is a pacifist compared.....compared....what I would do if the islamo-nazis succeed with a an act of nuclear terrorism on the USA.... If Tancredos comments can inject the slightest fear to islamo-nazis that the USA will come down hard on them...

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I see. So you thought that terrorists thought we'd look the other way if they nuked NY?

Thanks, Tancredo, for straightening them out.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Felix -

Although I am ambivalent on the ethics of your position, it warms my heart to know that there are still people willing to do whatever seems necessary to survival. Carry on good sir.

[/ QUOTE ]

This kind of talk is what makes America dangerous and threatens our people's well-being far more than protects it. It is -EV on the survival scale.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:53 AM

America has always been overwhelmingly violent and brutal when angered. "Payback" is our middle name. Unfortunately, so is "blowback." The mess that is Iran today, and thus part of the havoc that is Iraq today, is directly attributable to our hubristic arrogance, so perfectly captured in the attitude of your post.