Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Considering a Table Purchase

Anyone know where you can get an affordable one in the Chicago area?
Old 07-12-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would do it myself if I could, but I have no skills with this kind of stuff. I also do not have most of the necessary tools, so any estimate will have to factor in purchasing the tools needed.

I know a guy who built his own and it's not level, the felt is not tight and overall it looks shoddy. That is how I envision anything I attempt turning out.

[/ QUOTE ]I understand this completely- I have no skills either. My brother-in-law did the work because he's into building stuff and it came out fantastic- I just bought the materials. We followed some instructions from a couple different web sites and it wasn't hard- just a lot of effort.

Anyway, I guess if you don't know anyone like whose good with this kind of stuff, probably best just to buy one. Take heed, however, that I've experienced at least one custom build table that was pretty bad.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:45 AM

4 2 it where are you from?
i also make tables and might be able to help you out.
im located in philly and could save in shipping to northeast
www.phillypokertables.com
Old 07-13-2007, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
4 2 it where are you from?
i also make tables and might be able to help you out.
im located in philly and could save in shipping to northeast
www.phillypokertables.com

[/ QUOTE ]

I live outside of Philly. I'm looking for a round table because of space considerations. Shoot me a PM and we can talk.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:51 PM

pm sent
Old 07-14-2007, 07:26 PM

Thanks for your input Pants.
I am building a table & the only thing I had left to decide on was the playing surface.
I've read so many posts where they either love or hate the speedcloth. Some call it "sandpaper"......but since my games will be no more than 4-5 hours I don't see this being a problem.

Plus I DO NOT want any piling or fuzzing that I may get from velveteen or other similar fabrics.

Thanks again.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:37 AM

Update. It is getting delivered in a couple of hours.

Here it is right before shipment:

Thread with pictures.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:29 AM

I finished my basement last year and bought a custom-made table as the centerpiece. After doing a lot of searching on the Internet for what I wanted, I bought my table from B&V Poker Tables (www.bvpokertables.com). I was very pleased with the whole process.

First, I dealt directly with one of the owners ("Vic"). He was very responsive throughout the process. He even kept me up-to-date with photos of my table as it was being built.

Second, the final table is great. It's 96" hold-em table. It is cherry-stained, with pedestal legs. Although B&V has a lot of design options, I opted for a race-track design with cupholders, leather rail, and decorative nailhead trim. The playing surface is black/bronze suited speed cloth. You can find pictures of my table on B&V's gallery pages: my table can be found on P.1, No. 3, and P.3, Nos. 2 and 8.

The final price of the table, including shipping, was about $1,500. The table would have been substantially cheaper without the decorative trim, but I really liked that look.

The table gets very good reviews from the players in my home game, and it looks great in my game room.

P.S.: As you are putting together your budget for this project, don't forget about the cost of chairs. When buying a table this nice, you really can't just put folding chairs around it. Expect to spend at least $100/chair, and $150 to $200/chair is more realistic. If you want some suggestion on chairs, feel free to send me a PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:35 PM

WARNING!!! Be careful of the B&V site in MXP's post. It is an actual company who makes poker tables, but their galleries contain viruses. My firewall and virus software helped me out here, but I can tell you that both of the galleries I clicked on, after going to the gallery pages, tried to forward me to something else that wanted to install either a virus or some kind of spyware. The main page seems to be fine, but do not click any of the links inside.

Note: I do not post this to implicate MXP or his post. It is likely that the B&V web site has been hacked.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WARNING!!! Be careful of the B&V site in MXP's post. It is an actual company who makes poker tables, but their galleries contain viruses. My firewall and virus software helped me out here, but I can tell you that both of the galleries I clicked on, after going to the gallery pages, tried to forward me to something else that wanted to install either a virus or some kind of spyware. The main page seems to be fine, but do not click any of the links inside.

Note: I do not post this to implicate MXP or his post. It is likely that the B&V web site has been hacked.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow... I'm sorry if there is a problem with this site. I visited it today to get the page numbers for the gallery that showed my table, and I didn't have a problem. This company was very reputable in its dealings with me, and I think that the owner would be very upset if someone had hacked his site. I might give them a call to alert them to a potential problem. Thanks.