Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 07:34 PM

Default Re: KG

I definitely dont think he would take the minimum, but I dont see why a guy who badly wants to win wouldnt settle for say, a lousy 12-14 mil a year?
Old 07-20-2007, 07:38 PM

sorry if i haven't kept up to date, but where is this idea coming from that KG will take the min when he's still in position for one more long term deal??
Old 07-20-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I definitely dont think he would take the minimum, but I dont see why a guy who badly wants to win wouldnt settle for say, a lousy 12-14 mil a year?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I overstated it when I say sign for the minimum. But he ain't staying with the TWolves. He probably will work a sign and trade and get a decent salary, but no amount of money is going to make up for not winning a ring.

So he's going to direct himself to a team where he can win one, perhaps to PHX where he can play alongside one of his best friends, a Mr. Nash. The Suns can do a trade with Marion now, or let him opt out and work a sign and trade, or sign him for the minimum or exception for one year, rework their cap, then resign him the next year to a bigger deal.

Most players who take the money haven't gotten the money yet. KG has been the 2nd highest paid NBA player in all history. Not only does he not need another max deal, he's the rare NBA player who's smart enough to understand that.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be willing to take a prop bet that KG doesn't take the veteran's minimum next season from any team. A big one. 1K.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll bet that he opts out and moves to a better team and voluntarily takes a substantial pay cut. Is that interesting to you?
Old 07-20-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[censored] the Twolves front office

I think he's going to go to a contending team for league-minimum(or close to it) once he gets out of MN

[/ QUOTE ]

The Wizards will have Jamison's huge contract expiring. While they are going to have to break the bank for Arenas, I still think they'll have some cap room.

Arenas
Stevenson
Butler
Garnett
Haywood

Bench: Young, Navarro(??), Thomas(??), Blatche, Daniels

Thats gotta be favorites to win the East at least.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:52 PM

Define substantial. He's currently the highest played player in the league. He won't command that kind of money as a 30 yaer old. But it won't be in the $12-14M range, either. I think he'll probably sign for 16-17M a year.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Define substantial. He's currently the highest played player in the league. He won't command that kind of money as a 30 yaer old. But it won't be in the $12-14M range, either. I think he'll probably sign for 16-17M a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I know hed demand that. I guess my point for the sake of argument was would he take 12-14 mil to play for the suns or mavs over 17 mil to play for the warrs/bulls/lakers? Basically would he take any type of cut to play for a legit contender over a possible contender.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd be willing to take a prop bet that KG doesn't take the veteran's minimum next season from any team. A big one. 1K.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll bet that he opts out and moves to a better team and voluntarily takes a substantial pay cut. Is that interesting to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll bet you that he will not opt out of his deal next season AND take substantially less than his market value (max) to go on a team that would widely be considered as a top 3 team in the NBA with his presence to win a championship.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm...because he can get $20M a year from a contender in a sign and trade?

More to the point, it's an irrelevant question. The only way he gets $12-14M a year is by signing with a complete crap team (eg. one with that amount of cap room). I promise you that the next contract he signs will be an extension with Minny (unlikely) or a new contract that gets sign-and-traded to a more "acceptable" team for around $20M a year. It's a lot like the Shaq situation his last year in LA, except that unlike Shaq, KG probably won't want to stay with his taem...Shaq wanted a massive money extension (reportedly 90M for 3 years, or something similarly laughable), then got traded to Miami where he accepted an $80M, 4-year extention through 2010.

I agree that he's probably "worth" more like 15-17M, but he'll get more.

As for the suggestion that the Wiz could sign him, not an option. Even with Jamison's silly $16M salary off the books in 10 months' time, the Wiz are still at $51M for 08/09 - and that assumes they don't sign a FA this summer or trade for any salary in a Navarro trade. With the cap around $56M, assume $58-59M next year, they'd only have 7-8M in cap room. More to the point, Arenas is opting out and will command a max salary when he re-ups there. His jump from $13M to $16M will kill a chunk of that cap room.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Umm...because he can get $20M a year from a contender in a sign and trade?

[/ QUOTE ]

from what contender? the suns would do it if they could drop marion + another, but i dont see how they will be able to do that. What other legit contender would sign him for 20m? The warrs/lakers/bulls signing KG doesnt necessarily put them at the suns/spurs/mavs level