Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2007, 05:10 PM

Default Re: No Limit Omaha 8/b - Please Explain This Game To Me...

everybody thinks he is such a great player

I haven't seen anyone say that. He's too predictable, calls a little too much on the river, and doesn't play top set properly. But he *is* a tight nut-peddler, so it's usually advisable to stay out of his way if he starts betting/raising.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:23 PM

Yeah that's pretty much what it turned out to be...I think it's kinda boring compared to PLO8...
Old 07-08-2007, 04:05 AM

NLO8 is a game of bingo for nut peddling nits. There are 2 ways to make money at this game IMO:

1. limp limp limp and wait to make the nuts, then push and wait for someone to make a mistake.
2. Push with every hand that is good enough to play well in a coinflip situation (regardless of how much $ that is) and make money from the fold equity.

See the thread on Juarez: neither of these games are poker in my book. Poker is a game that involves the matching of wits. This is a game for people who want to play cards but seek to take from you your strategic advantage (skill). You could program a computer to play NLO8.

Which gives me an idea ...
Old 07-08-2007, 12:30 PM

I started out playing poker in NL cash games from 1-2 up to 2-4 and in the roughly 2 years I played those games I never saw people shove in 150+ BB into the pot preflop to win the blinds as much as I did in the 5 hours I played NLO8...

And these pushes weren't coming from the nits, they were coming from the guys who I've played PLO8 with and who know what they are doing...But as soon as you attach the "No Limit" label to the game, people feel the need to overbet pots and do all sorts of crazy [censored] that is sub-optimal...
Old 07-08-2007, 12:36 PM

well people don't want to play AA post flop.. so they just shove. Nobody can really call profitably. Although certain players, even ones considered "good" will get it in with good A2 hands even when they should be 100% sure the guy shoving has AA.

I think taking a monster like AA24 and shoving preflop and winning the blinds and a limp is pretty horrible.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean is this seriously playing cards???

[/ QUOTE ]

absolutely not. i've played the $5/$10 NLO8 a few times on FTP lately and you get clowns like "Idiot29" open pushing with 45QT, lol.

if you ever want to play bingo poker, FTP nlo8 is the place to be.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:12 PM

Just outta curiosity then why do you play Dave? I mean you obviously know what the hell you are doing and are one of the top PLO8 players on the 'net...It seems like a game that totally eliminates any advantage a good player has (like being able to control pot size, etc..)...Is it because there ARE morons out there who will open push with that garbage??

I can't believe that there are people who would open push with that crap at that level...
Old 07-08-2007, 06:32 PM

I have made great money playing the style #2 that Truth discussed...

2. Push with every hand that is good enough to play well in a coinflip situation (regardless of how much $ that is) and make money from the fold equity.

80% of the time, everyone folds...and the 20% of the time you are called, it is rarely anything but a coinflip

Pushing is +EV

Unfortuanately, it can be high varience. I played 25/50 last week and lost 4 pushes preflop. I was 57, 55, 54, and 53% EV preflop.

And Idiot is truely an idiot. I play him H/U all the time and am up big vs him. Recently, he has sat out everytime I join him H/U and sits back in when I leave
Old 07-08-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just outta curiosity then why do you play Dave? I mean you obviously know what the hell you are doing and are one of the top PLO8 players on the 'net...It seems like a game that totally eliminates any advantage a good player has (like being able to control pot size, etc..)...Is it because there ARE morons out there who will open push with that garbage??

I can't believe that there are people who would open push with that crap at that level...

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhm.. dave is one of those guys that will call all ins with A2. But as predator said, you're not going to be a huge dog, depending on the kind of aces someone is pushing with, the more they push, the looser you can call. If someone is only pushing AA2-AA5 I don't think any calls are ever going to be profitable.

And if you've never played with Idiot29 he's fun lol. Used to talk smack all the time too, think he got his chat taken though.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:55 PM

I guess it comes back to the fact that if you have the proper roll to play in the game you should be willing to take any advantage you have over your opponent that beats the rake...

But doesn't NLO8 take your advantage away of being a better player than those you are playing with??

That's the thing that gets me, I can outplay most everybody I play with...I wouldn't want to give them another "tool" in order to beat me...I think the push-bot gives them another tool to beat me...Maybe I'm wrong here and just don't understand the finer points of the game...