Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2007, 03:06 AM

Default No Limit Omaha 8/b - Please Explain This Game To Me...

I played my first extended amount of NLO8 tonite on Stars, 4 tables of $100...And not gonna lie I just don't get the game...I mean there are people open shoving preflop for 170-200 BB into the blinds...I found myself doing this a few times as well as it seemed to be the acceptable way to play AA...

I flopped middle set once, bet out $3 which was a pot sized bet only to have the great mustafa come over me for $200...

I mean is this seriously playing cards??? Any effing nit can shove 200 BBs into a pot and take it down, it requires ZERO skill to do this, which is probably why that donk likes the game...It's not like PLO8 where you are constricted by the betting limits so you can't just check raise your opponent for 200 BBs...

This is like what Negreneau (sp?) was saying about the WSOP, he bets 1000 into a 1500 chip pot and somebody goes over the top for 40,000...I agree with him when he says that is not cards...

I know there is a strategy that can exploit this stupidity and I'm sure if I play this godawful game long enough I'll figure it out, but this just makes Omaha 8/b a friggin crapfest...
Old 07-07-2007, 03:41 AM

Default Re: No Limit Omaha 8/b - Please Explain This Game To Me...

Actually mustafa is supposed to be alright. Perhaps he saw that you were new to the table and, without any other information, figured you to be a donk wanting to gamble?

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post9865888
Old 07-07-2007, 05:19 AM

From the tone of OPs post, sounds like mustafa took all his chips.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I flopped middle set once, bet out $3 which was a pot sized bet only to have the great mustafa come over me for $200...

[/ QUOTE ]

What would you do if he pot raised?
Old 07-07-2007, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean is this seriously playing cards??? Any effing nit can shove 200 BBs into a pot and take it down, it requires ZERO skill to do this, which is probably why that donk likes the game

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, this is exactly why I don't like No Limit Holdem...most people still seem to consider it the "Cadillac of poker games" though...

Rob
Old 07-07-2007, 12:21 PM

middle set is an easy fold to an all in
Old 07-07-2007, 02:35 PM

No not at all we have played 10s of thousands of hands together...Let's just say we know each other...
Old 07-07-2007, 02:37 PM

Are you kidding me? He is a nut peddling nit, you think I'm gonna call him here? He will NEVER stack me unless:

A) He outdraws me when I'm ahead.
B) I manage to miss my huge draw when he gets his money in poor.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:43 PM

Good question...I was never thinking about calling off a stack in NL, but in PL I probably would have called down as not only did I have the middle set, but I had one of the cards that would make top set...But against that opponent I might have still laid it down on the flop, but his piss poor sub-optimal play probably cost him $60-80 there...It's so funny everybody thinks he is such a great player, but he can't adjust to playing against somebody who is as skilled as he is...The fact that he gets paid off in this game is amazing because his play is so sub-optimal...And even if these are bluffs it's dumb because this move has to work the VAST majority of the time for it to be profitable...
Old 07-07-2007, 03:16 PM

He gets paid off way too much.. ya he pretty much peddles the nuts, you know where he is at almost all the time..

The key to winning at the NL version of this game is knowing when you have a good chance of 1/4 someone, or a freeroll. So many people can't fold nut low. So you get nut low and some kind of high.. and shove. When the table has decent players.. it usually ends up one has huge draw.. one has top set, etc.. and you flip for stacks a lot, and I really don't care for it personally.