Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 01:07 PM

Default Live HSNL strategy Part 1: Sunglasses

A while back limon talked about some gangster sunglasses that weren't too tinted for indoors so you could still see your cards...anyone?

ps I know wearing sunglasses is toolish but I'm told by many that my eyes give away way too much, so how else will i win a bracelet this year?
Old 05-29-2007, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Live HSNL strategy Part 1: Sunglasses

go to the nearest mall on weekends, seek out the guidos or shipithollaballer types, ask them where they got their pimp semi-tinted sunglasses
Old 05-29-2007, 02:18 PM

do eyes really give away that much? how so? are there "sick" body language readers that are just nasty live players? can someone who plays a ton of live poker break down how often they rely on physical tells or recount a time when someone pwned them with a physical read?

and post gangsta sunglasses pics
Old 05-29-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do eyes really give away that much? how so? are there "sick" body language readers that are just nasty live players? can someone who plays a ton of live poker break down how often they rely on physical tells or recount a time when someone pwned them with a physical read?

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know how to use the search function very well on here, but i posted a thread a while back about chip reese's sunglases which are by far the sickest/nicest sunglasses I have ever seen (they are blue tinted with fairly large wraparound lenses). I have tried my damn best to figure out what brand makes them, but to no avail.

Anyways, yes, the eyes on a novice/intermediate player often give away a ton. When I play live eyes and hands are the two biggest things I look for (even moreso than body language). I don't want to give away too much but I have air raised a flop MANY a times because I knew by the motions of the person's eyes that they missed the flop (granted, they could have had an overpair by my logic, but I knew for sure that they missed the flop).

For a novice live player, I would recommend sunglasses, it could never hurt and it could help if you are not used to playing live and staring people down/being stared down.

I don't play with sunglasses because I use a lot of reverse tells and like people to see my face/eyes. However, if I was playing in a game that made me uncomfortable because the stakes were too high I would wear them.

One piece of advice, make sure to get LIGHT TINTED, reflective lenses, with hopefully lenses that make things appear slightly larger than they are. Lenses that are too dark are totally worthless and cause you to miss too much.

also, if anyone can find the chip reese sunglasses i'd be very appreciative,

dlpnyc21
Old 05-29-2007, 02:28 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 05-29-2007, 02:30 PM

semi tint BALLER

Old 05-29-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to always wear sunnies but thought it was so gay indoors and then after playing live for years realized there were virtually no tells I got from someone's eyes, maybe sitting posture or changes to it, face changes, betting patterns, speech etc but each tell is based more on the moment versus a pattern and I know good live game players who often deliberately use reverse tell psychology to f..k with people

[/ QUOTE ]

posted deleted at cero's request.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:39 PM

uh,

wouldn't "semitint" glasses not stop people from getting information from your eyes at all? unless the big read people are getting from you is pupil dilation instead of general eye activity.

if you're *really* worried about this get the lowest tint mirrored glasses you can find, or get those super tool things they were selling at the wsop last year: sort of a visor/mirror combo, so you could look down without even looking through the lens at all, and someone looking straight at you can't see your eyes at all.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i play mainly live. eye tells are significant in inexperienced and unsavvy players.

if you can't think of several eye tells right off the bat you haven't been looking. if you play mainly online and are going to Vegas for the wsop, wear sunglasses at the table. if you know the tells you're faking them or avoiding them enough that sunglasses won't help as much.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to always wear sunnies but thought it was so gay indoors and then after playing live for years realized there were virtually no tells I got from someone's eyes, maybe sitting posture or changes to it, face changes, betting patterns, speech etc but each tell is based more on the moment versus a pattern and I know good live game players who often deliberately use reverse tell psychology to f..k with people

[/ QUOTE ]

This is like the countless interviews with pros who say that tells don't really exist at high levels, or whatever. Not sure if they're lying to hide what they know, or just ignorant, but statements like "I got virtually no tells from someone's eyes," just show that you don't know what to look for. I'm not sharing this stuff with the handful of players who could really use it against me next month, but there's a ton of information available on this topic, and it's relatively untapped even at high levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

at the highest levels, people are so attuned to their own body language/movements that they are able to manipulate other's easily. some players like phil ivey work so hard at doing absolutely nothing different on each hand (if you watch his eyes though he looks like he's on crack the way he looks at other players). other players like daniel negreanu are so hard to read b/c they give off so many reverse and double reverse tells and basically barrage you with chatter/silly movements that they are hard to read.

novice/intermediate players are often extremely easy to read live (note that i'm speaking specifically in terms of their body movement/eye movement/hand movement rather than their betting patterns).

ask JTL about live tells, the guy could write a book that would be as good or better than caro's.

dlpnyc21