Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Things to do in Melbourne

[ QUOTE ]
If you are an American, it is super easy to get laid there. Confirm/Deny?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it was super easy for me to get laid in Canada/America.

Come to think of it, yes. Perth for instance is the number one favorite stop for the US navy. When the fleet arrives they are greeted by about 500 giddy young women dressed to get laid. And they are not hookers. They emerge out of the wood work when the fleet comes in, and seep back under the cracks when they leave. All they want to do is bang an American.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there an area in Melbourne city like Northbridge in Perth or Kings Cross in Sydney? EG where all the foreign food is, lots of nightlife, bars, etc, higher crime rate?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about crime rates, but what you're thinking of is:

a) Chapel St (Prahran, Windsor) + Toorak Road (probably the biggest)
b) Fitzroy St (St Kilda)
c) Brunswick St (probably the most "alternative")
Old 05-21-2007, 08:20 PM

Brunswick St is pretty much the only choice if you're a cool cat instead of a tryhard, can't imagine ever voluntarily going to Chapel Street again

Sweet bands, sweet clubs, cool people, that atmosphere where everyone is happy, drunk or high =p
Old 05-21-2007, 08:23 PM

there's a ton of decent restaurants too, Fed Square has about a brazillion of all sorts generally of modern versions of traditional cuisine, one day I'll run through them all

One of my favs is Bergerac on King Street, very cozy and reasonably priced French place with a sweet wine list
Old 05-21-2007, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there's a ton of decent restaurants too, Fed Square has about a brazillion of all sorts generally of modern versions of traditional cuisine, one day I'll run through them all

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree about Fed Square - to me, it feels too contrived, too artificial.

The best thing about Melbourne are the sensational bars hidden away... eg - http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...;Main=10375404

the big, bold and open stuff at fed square is like something straight out of darling harbour in sydney. if you want that sort of place, sydney is much better at it.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:53 AM

So i've been living out of the crown promenade since monday as i search for apartments and explore the city. I flew over here on a whim to live, but I definitely like melbourne a lot and I am looking to get a place near Queen Vic markets since i'm all about the fresh food and this place owns.

Searching for apartments in a new city is tough, and i'm afraid I may be living out of a hotel for the next month before everything is finalised for my moving in.

Anyone have any ideas of where I could play a piano here until I get a place and can hire / buy one? Also if anyone wants to grab a quiet beer somewhere, that'd be cool too (though I don't want to go too hard before I find a place since its impossible to get anything done the next day).
Old 06-07-2007, 02:43 AM

I have an excellent suggestion for weird things to do.

I was in Melbourne in January for the Aussie Millions, and we (myself, Alex Jacob, and Jesse Schleger -Shane's bro) rented a convertible and drove it down to Mornington Peninsula. Its not that far, I want to say maybe an hour or two depending on how far you drive. On Mornington Peninsula there are sh*itloads of life size hedge mazes. (think The Shining when Jack Nicholson is chasing the kid at the end of the movie.) One was called Ashcombe Hedge Maze and Water something or other. It was amazing. We definitely raced through them like madmen, children and tourists be damned. I won 1, Jesse won 2. Alex sucks at mazes. LOL!
There was another one close by with 6 mazes, a couple were brain teasers. I think it was called the Enchanted Maze Garden. They were all enchanted...
On the same drive we found a place called Mystical Forest. It was a forest that can't be describe as anything else really.. Fern gulliess and tree canopies that blocked out the sun and made you feel like you were in a really special place. Also suggest blazing one if you go for a drive there..
Thats all I got.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:03 AM

as i was reading that i was thinking 'this would be awesome if u blazed up first', then u mentioned that at the end. I love doing this sort of thing when i'm blazed. In Lao I used to go walking around waterfalls and [censored] when i was blazed and its like you're in some other world and you're this explorer.... ty for good idea.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:56 PM

i grew up in mt martha and live on the mornington peninsula
magic, pm me your mobile, it would be good to hook up with another onliner. my son is a sound engineer student in town so i'll ask him where you could get access to a piano.
i also work on the other side of the city so could meet in town for a few frothies
cheers
jason